Crack in glass?

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a small crack on the glass of my tank and the crack is on the inside. I have no idea how it got there maybe pressure from a magnet in the past or something. It is like a hair crack and impossible to take a picture of. It seems the crack has traveled down some and it’s an hair line and I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else and what eventually happened. I’m so worried and wondering if I should buy a new tank.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I noticed a small crack on the glass of my tank and the crack is on the inside. I have no idea how it got there maybe pressure from a magnet in the past or something. It is like a hair crack and impossible to take a picture of. It seems the crack has traveled down some and it’s an hair line and I wanted to know if this has happened to anyone else and what eventually happened. I’m so worried and wondering if I should buy a new tank.

It may just be a scratch.

But if it is a scratch, then yes, a new tank is in order. If not, you could move everything to holding bins and replace the glass.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christine Rawlings

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is traveling, then I would guess a crack.

Try to post some kind of pictures.
These are the best pics I got so far with lights off. The last pic shows the hair lines that are smaller than the original crack that I believe is where it traveled. The crack was there a while before I noticed it traveling.

Attachments

• IMG_8532.jpeg
    IMG_8532.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_8533.jpeg
    IMG_8533.jpeg
    118.4 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_8536.jpeg
    IMG_8536.jpeg
    133 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_8535.jpeg
    IMG_8535.jpeg
    145.9 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_8534.jpeg
    IMG_8534.jpeg
    130 KB · Views: 133
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christine Rawlings

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree that we need some pictures.

Like Dom said if it is a crack you need a new tank ASAP unfortuantly.

And, #MODS Could we please have this moved to the correct forum?
I posted pictures on the other reply..and, sorry mods, I am still new at this and had no idea I posted on the wrong forum lol

Upvote 0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure; is there a broken glass forum? :)

It is difficult to tell from the pictures. But I've never seen a crack that started in the middle of the glass. Usually, it spreads from a chip.

How big is the tank?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christine Rawlings

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure; is there a broken glass forum? :)

It is difficult to tell from the pictures. But I've never seen a crack that started in the middle of the glass. Usually, it spreads from a chip.

How big is the tank?
lol no idea what forum I’m even on right now ;) anyway, yeah I don’t know either and the crack doesn’t go all the way through, it seems it’s just on the inside glass. But I’m already paranoid so I’m sure I’ll just just buy a new one unfortunately.

Upvote 0

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol no idea what forum I’m even on right now ;) anyway, yeah I don’t know either and the crack doesn’t go all the way through, it seems it’s just on the inside glass. But I’m already paranoid so I’m sure I’ll just just buy a new one unfortunately.

Agreed; difficult to sleep at night with that going on. Will you go with the same size or will you upgrade to a larger tank?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christine Rawlings

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol no idea what forum I’m even on right now ;) anyway, yeah I don’t know either and the crack doesn’t go all the way through, it seems it’s just on the inside glass. But I’m already paranoid so I’m sure I’ll just just buy a new one

Agreed; difficult to sleep at night with that going on. Will you go with the same size or will you upgrade to a larger tank

Agreed; difficult to sleep at night with that going on. Will you go with the same size or will you upgrade to a larger tank?
So this is my first tank and it’s 20g, 32g with the sump. I do want to get something just a little bigger, and it would make all of the hard work to start a new tank worth it, maybe.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Christine Rawlings

Christine Rawlings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you noticed any water dripping through? It could be the slightest bit. If there is then you have yourself an emergency. Is the crack up high or low in the tank?
No, I haven’t noticed any water. I noticed recently that the crack actually had algae and I saw a snail on the glass in that same spot and it did clean the Algae off the crack. That’s when I’m guessing it started getting bigger because I feel I would have noticed. It’s towards the top of the tank!

Upvote 0

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Oh no, I was hoping I had time!

If it’s a scratch, you are fine, if it is a crack, new tank asap. Whole pane could collapse.

If it’s a crack you should be able to feel it on the outside, even just slightly. Try and catch it with your nail.

Upvote 0

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 50 56.2%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 33 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back