Cyanobacteria

Craigh

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some guidance. Been dealing with a Cyanobacteria outbreak in my Waterbox 110.4. I believe my issue is with my phosphate/nitrate levels. My latests numbers are phosphate 0.02 ppm and nitrate 0.05 ppm. These numbers are stable, the highest being phosphate 0.10 ppm and nitrate 0.20 ppm 4 weeks ago. Do I need to raise my phosphates and nitrates and what and how much of a Tropic Marin additive do I dose. It’s a mixed reef tank. 25% water change bi-weekly change. Currently dosing AFR @ 50ml daily and Fauna Marin Bacto Therapy @ 25 ml weekly.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need some guidance. Been dealing with a Cyanobacteria outbreak in my Waterbox 110.4. I believe my issue is with my phosphate/nitrate levels. My latests numbers are phosphate 0.02 ppm and nitrate 0.05 ppm. These numbers are stable, the highest being phosphate 0.10 ppm and nitrate 0.20 ppm 4 weeks ago. Do I need to raise my phosphates and nitrates and what and how much of a Tropic Marin additive do I dose. It’s a mixed reef tank. 25% water change bi-weekly change. Currently dosing AFR @ 50ml daily and Fauna Marin Bacto Therapy @ 25 ml weekly.

I do not generally think nutrient levels have a lot to do with cyano, but getting the nitrate up for other reasons is appropriate. I recommend ammonium bicarbonate (food grade) to boost N.

For cyano, I'd focus on manual removal, reducing organics, and increasing flow.

Back