Day 13 of cycle nitrites rising

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is 110 gallons and 2 days ago i tested my tanks ability to go from 2ppm ammonia to 0 ppm in under a day and my tank did it in less then 11 hours, why are my nitrites still rising? Ammonia is 0 and my nitrate are low around 5

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle is never really completed, as you add new stuff it will create ammonia and ammonia is bad nitrites remove ammonia so nitrites are ok, nitrates remove nitrites so nitrates are good. but after you get your first cycle the only thing you need to test for is Nitrates for now you want to maintain them between 5 - 20 with water changes don't even worry about Nitrites any longer. I don't test for Nitrites or ammonia at all, add have not since my cycle 15 years ago. If I had issues I may have tested for ammonia back some time ago when I had fish death but even stopped doing that after a few years. P04 Phosphate is some thing you will want to start testing for also for algae control.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your cycle is never really completed, as you add new stuff it will create ammonia and ammonia is bad nitrites remove ammonia so nitrites are ok, nitrates remove nitrites so nitrates are good. but after you get your first cycle the only thing you need to test for is Nitrates for now you want to maintain them between 5 - 20 with water changes don't even worry about Nitrites any longer. I don't test for Nitrites or ammonia at all, add have not since my cycle 15 years ago. If I had issues I may have tested for ammonia back some time ago when I had fish death but even stopped doing that after a few years. P04 is some thing you will want to start testing for also for algae control.
Thanks, but arent nitrites harmful towards inverts?

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but arent nitrites harmful towards inverts?
Your tank is still new and working on getting balanced. Just put a fish or 2 and a few hermit crabs in it and enjoy it till the Nitrates go up then do your 10 - 15 percent water change some where around 10 - 15 ppm of Nitrates then if you would like test the nitrites. let it balance don't worry about inverts yet wait till you get Algae.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is still new and working on getting balanced. Just put a fish or 2 and a few hermit crabs in it and enjoy it till the Nitrates go up then do your 10 - 15 percent water change some where around 10 - 15 ppm of Nitrates then if you would like test the nitrites. let it balance don't worry about inverts yet wait till you get Algae.
Should I do a water change now?

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wait till the nitrates hit 10 - 15 ppm
Thanks for all your help, as of right now I dont have a wave maker/powerhead. Im in talks with someone selling 2 gyres so ill have those for flow. all the flow is from my return. Do you think I could add a fish or two, today and must i qt my first fish?

Last edited:

kvansloo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a powerhead or 2 on that size of tank for flow. As far as QT I would say yes but that would make me a hypocrite. I have never done QT but my LFS's all do low salinity and copper in their tanks and I am very picky about what I buy that is a personal choice just remember if you put a parasite in your Display tank it can take a lot to get them out. So it depends on do you trust where you are getting your fish.

OP
OP
vcnt

vcnt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add a powerhead or 2 on that size of tank for flow. As far as QT I would say yes but that would make me a hypocrite. I have never done QT but my LFS's all do low salinity and copper in their tanks and I am very picky about what I buy that is a personal choice just remember if you put a parasite in your Display tank it can take a lot to get them out. So it depends on do you trust where you are getting your fish.
I edit my message im getting 2 gyres. My qt tank used to be a 20 long but i cracked it yesterday so all i got is a 10 gallon now, i will probably get a new 20

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back