Dinos or diatoms?

Zack19919853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can someone tell me if this is diatoms or Dino’s? I’m new to the hobby. My tank is 1 month old.

IMG_0831.jpeg IMG_0832.jpeg

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure that is dino based on the snotty appearance and bubbles. Diatoms look more “dusty”. A microscope will tell you for sure if you can get your hands on one. Sometimes public libraries have them for rent. The cheap kids ones are also good enough if you want to buy one.

OP
OP
Z

Zack19919853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m pretty sure that is dino based on the snotty appearance and bubbles. Diatoms look more “dusty”. A microscope will tell you for sure if you can get your hands on one. Sometimes public libraries have them for rent. The cheap kids ones are also good enough if you want to buy one.
So the brown stuff on the rocks are like dust when I use a turkey baster on it. There’s a film on the sand when some bubbles but not as much as it was in above picture now. Could it be cyno? It’s a newer tank only a month old. And I have a uv light coming as well as neophos and neonitro by brightwells and a siphon. Fish are doing fine snails are good as well as the hermits and cleaner shrimp. Corals are also doing good. So idk. I need to check phosphates. If it’s at appropriate levels and not 0 would that indicate maybe a different bacteria other than Dino’s?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to really know for sure is to use a microscope, but if your phosphate is zero that would be a strong indicator of dinos. Diatoms are also extremely common in a tank that young though. I can tell you it is definitely not cyano.

OP
OP
Z

Zack19919853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only way to really know for sure is to use a microscope, but if your phosphate is zero that would be a strong indicator of dinos. Diatoms are also extremely common in a tank that young though. I can tell you it is definitely not cyano.
I appreciate you advice and information. It’s hard for me to get a sample but definitely will get microscope. That way I’m not playing the guessing game. I will check phosphates tomorrow. Maybe I’ll have an update as to where to go. Should I dose nitrates being that it’s a new tank? I’ve been over feeding. Haven’t checked nitrates since Sunday. Figured give it a couple days.

OP
OP
Z

Zack19919853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I appreciate you advice and information. It’s hard for me to get a sample but definitely will get microscope. That way I’m not playing the guessing game. I will check phosphates tomorrow. Maybe I’ll have an update as to where to go. Should I dose nitrates being that it’s a new tank? I’ve been over feeding. Haven’t checked nitrates since Sunday. Figured give it a couple days.
Last I checked nitrates they were at 5 ppm

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren’t in any danger at 5 ppm, but in general a good target is 10-20 ppm. I dont see any issues with dosing to achieve that. It is cheaper than over feeding and less pollution to the tank. If you are going to buy a scope, check out the AmScope on amazon. They are reasonably priced and if you splurge for the mid-tier model, it comes with a camera so you can upload microscope images on here for help if needed. This is the one I ended up buying and it has worked great: Amazon: AmScope

IMG_5580.png

OP
OP
Z

Zack19919853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You aren’t in any danger at 5 ppm, but in general a good target is 10-20 ppm. I dont see any issues with dosing to achieve that. It is cheaper than over feeding and less pollution to the tank. If you are going to buy a scope, check out the AmScope on amazon. They are reasonably priced and if you splurge for the mid-tier model, it comes with a camera so you can upload microscope images on here for help if needed. This is the one I ended up buying and it has worked great: Amazon: AmScope

IMG_5580.png
Yeah I going to check levels today. And see where it stands. And go from there. I’ll check out the microscope!! Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah my tank is just floating with mysis all over. I did notice what looked like and isopod yesterday when basting the rock to clean it up a bit. He floated and dug into the sand bed. After that there’s not telling. I’m guessing he hickhicked on a coral or snail maybe a hermit. Not sure because iv never put any pods in the tank.

nim6us

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s hard for me to get a sample but definitely will get microscope.

To check under the microscope scoop some sand out with a little water in a plastic cup. Then stir the sand up so whatever is on the sand is suspended in the water. Finally use a pipette to draw some of that water and place it on your slide. Start at 100x or 200x magnification, that’s usually good enough. But if you’re having a hard time getting detailed picture bump up 400x.

How do I know all this, I had dinos for a year. Fingers crossed it’s just diatoms.

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5580.png
Can you find me a super cheap laptop to use this magnifying scope with? Pretty please...

But, I have to agree. It has the appearance of Dinos. How old is the tank?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I going to check levels today. And see where it stands. And go from there. I’ll check out the microscope!! Thanks for the suggestion. Yeah my tank is just floating with mysis all over. I did notice what looked like and isopod yesterday when basting the rock to clean it up a bit. He floated and dug into the sand bed. After that there’s not telling. I’m guessing he hickhicked on a coral or snail maybe a hermit. Not sure because iv never put any pods in the tank.
It kind of sounds like you could use more flow if you are able to watch something float down to the bottom like that. You should have enough flow that things like that are flying around the tank, not just gently floating and settling to the bottom.

OP
OP
Z

Zack19919853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To check under the microscope scoop some sand out with a little water in a plastic cup. Then stir the sand up so whatever is on the sand is suspended in the water. Finally use a pipette to draw some of that water and place it on your slide. Start at 100x or 200x magnification, that’s usually good enough. But if you’re having a hard time getting detailed picture bump up 400x.

How do I know all this, I had dinos for a year. Fingers crossed it’s just diatoms.
Thank you very much , I’ll definitely do that

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 month old
I'd go with diatoms. How long have they been hanging out? I had a bad diatom bloom one weekend. It was completely gone come Monday morning. I'm talking bad, bad. Stringing all over my rock, completely covering my sand bed. I was thinking I had dinos as well but they were gone over night one sunday evening.

OP
OP
Z

Zack19919853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It kind of sounds like you could use more flow if you are able to watch something float down to the bottom like that. You should have enough flow that things like that are flying around the tank, not just gently floating and settling to the bottom.
It doesn’t float, I guess I could have used a better term. Everything is
I'd go with diatoms. How long have they been hanging out? I had a bad diatom bloom one weekend. It was completely gone come Monday morning. I'm talking bad, bad. Stringing all over my rock, completely covering my sand bed. I was thinking I had dinos as well but they were gone over night one sunday evening.
its been since about Sunday I believe. They do seem to be settling down. Not as much snotty bubbles and is just on the sand bed. Some film in places. The rock it just dusts off.

OP
OP
Z

Zack19919853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have used a better term then float. Everything is flowing all around. There’s plenty flow. Even the gsp on the smal rocks on sand bed have good flow.

Sdoutreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn’t float, I guess I could have used a better term. Everything is

its been since about Sunday I believe. They do seem to be settling down. Not as much snotty bubbles and is just on the sand bed. Some film in places. The rock it just dusts off.
Just let the tank work itself out. Do you have a CUC yet? They could help with this. I say could, because not everything eat diatoms in a CUC.

OP
OP
Z

Zack19919853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just let the tank work itself out. Do you have a CUC yet? They could help with this. I say could, because not everything eat diatoms in a CUC.
So I got 3 asters snails 1 turbo snail and five blue leg hermits. I need maybe a cerith snail for sand bed unless you think there’s a better one? Also I checked nitrates since over feeding for an about a week I’ve came from 5 ppm to 10 ppm nitrates. I think I’m happy with 10ppm. Also phosphates are .03 as far as I can tell from salifert test. It’s a hard one to read. But there’s poop from the hermits and snails all over my sand bed. I need something to clean up the bed.

OP
OP
Z

Zack19919853

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_5580.png
Nitrates are 10 ppm and phosphates are .03 from what I can tell from the salifert test kit. It’s a hard one to read for phos.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 6 7.6%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 14 17.7%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 19 24.1%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 21 26.6%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 4 5.1%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 12 15.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 3.8%
Back