Dips for elegance coral

reneeL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dips for corals, recipe please. My elegance coral is looking ill. What is the recipe for the iodine mix?

OP
OP
R

reneeL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an elegance coral, not fully opening and not fully closed. Changes during the day but does not go completely either way. Seems to want to unfold. No dead looking tissue. At times even tentacles came out.

I believe I will dip it. Just not sure what yet. Fed baby brine to my tank today and the elegance seemed to take some in.

Photo below shows the elegance fully out. The tank has changed a lot since that photo.
First photo is recent and this is about the 5 th day of this behavior.

20240903_210834.jpg 20240722_175043.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Dips for corals, recipe please. My elegance coral is looking ill. What is the recipe for the iodine mix?
When ill, they will puff up and have a secretion on them known as elegance coral syndrome (ECS). Best remedy is a freshwater dip which will reverse it. I have heard of some utilizing seachem metroplex for cure but im leery of antibiotics with this coral however I would feel safe with 3% hydrogen peroxide.
In a clean container, add freshwater, no RODI at same temperature as display tank and lower in for 3-5 minutes. Agitate in the water and Remove and return to display tank. You can add some 3% peroxide if you wish but skip for now as this is your first time.
Coral will be semi upset for an hour or two but then return to normal.

OP
OP
R

reneeL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This sounds like a good choice to try. I will try this.
At this time the elegance is spreading out but really, really fluffy and not tentacles. I am going to observe it for the next hour or so then if it does not fully open dip in the fresh water.

OP
OP
R

reneeL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When ill, they will puff up and have a secretion on them known as elegance coral syndrome (ECS). Best remedy is a freshwater dip which will reverse it. I have heard of some utilizing seachem metroplex for cure but im leery of antibiotics with this coral however I would feel safe with 3% hydrogen peroxide.
In a clean container, add freshwater, no RODI at same temperature as display tank and lower in for 3-5 minutes. Agitate in the water and Remove and return to display tank. You can add some 3% peroxide if you wish but skip for now as this is your first time.
Coral will be semi upset for an hour or two but then return to normal.
I did the freshwater rodi same temp dip after the lights went out. My elegance did puff up. Not sure what the outcome will be. No critters came off. He looked as if it would explode.
The coral has not opened up, less than before but I see more tentacle.
Photos from before dipping.
I will keep you informed.

Attachments

• 20240904_194343.jpg
    20240904_194343.jpg
    137.3 KB · Views: 9

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I did the freshwater rodi same temp dip after the lights went out. My elegance did puff up. Not sure what the outcome will be. No critters came off. He looked as if it would explode.
The coral has not opened up, less than before but I see more tentacle.
Photos from before dipping.
I will keep you informed.
Normal sign. Lets see how it looks in lets say 8 hours

OP
OP
R

reneeL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, I could not load the earlier photo but this is the most recent. Thought I would send you a better view of the whole tank. Any thoughts? Lights were low today, as my new fish came in today on schedule.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Okay, I could not load the earlier photo but this is the most recent. Thought I would send you a better view of the whole tank. Any thoughts? Lights were low today, as my new fish came in today on schedule.
Does not look bad but where are the tentacles?
Increase blue and assure the flow is subtle, not medium to aggressive

OP
OP
R

reneeL

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Computer problems.
My elegance is has not returned to it's normal self. It has not yet unfolded like before and swells up at night. not like it might blow up. I will send photos from the last few days. Thinking of dipping it with the 3% hydrogen Peroxide. What do you think?
Only a tiny tentacle earlier. Okay, blue and a more subtle current. Will keep you informed if you would like?
Renee

Attachments

• 20240907_133111.jpg
    20240907_133111.jpg
    111.3 KB · Views: 5

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 45 55.6%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 7.4%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 30 37.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back