Does Lighting And Flow Go Together?

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious on Reefers’ thoughts about lighting and flow. Do they go together? I’ve noticed that they seem to in my sps tanks. I can usually control issues like bleaching and browning just by adjusting flow instead of the lights. What’s your experience been?

This WD Tenuis colony used to be muted in color at 250 par. By increasing flow, I was able to get the pink and purple colors on it.
IMG_6210.jpeg

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I watched a BRS video where they discuss flow. I think it was in this video that it was mentioned that WWC believes flow is more critical than lighting. (with both still being needed, of course)

Paris by Night

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some amazing talks by the one and only, rest in peace, I try to rewatch these when they pop up on my YouTube so I absorb them to a second nature.

But the answer is undoubtedly yes. The higher the light the more energy and thus more respiration for increase metabolic activity. More flow is needed that is strong enough that it actually reaches a Coral and can move the very thin layer of slime and water just on its tissues outer most surface. It doesn’t have to be strong per se as we all know how bad direct flow can be, but it must actually reach the coral rather than movement in open water, which does not directly matter.

Hope my ramble sounds coherent haha

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Water chemistry, flow, lighting. In that order.

Flow is way more important than most think. Put it this way...turn off your lights for 72 hours and see what happens. Turn off your flow for 72 hours and see what happens.

dakoop

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water chemistry, flow, lighting. In that order.

Flow is way more important than most think. Put it this way...turn off your lights for 72 hours and see what happens. Turn off your flow for 72 hours and see what happens.
1000005570.gif

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Some amazing talks by the one and only, rest in peace, I try to rewatch these when they pop up on my YouTube so I absorb them to a second nature.

But the answer is undoubtedly yes. The higher the light the more energy and thus more respiration for increase metabolic activity. More flow is needed that is strong enough that it actually reaches a Coral and can move the very thin layer of slime and water just on its tissues outer most surface. It doesn’t have to be strong per se as we all know how bad direct flow can be, but it must actually reach the coral rather than movement in open water, which does not directly matter.

Hope my ramble sounds coherent haha

Yes! Watching Jake is where I learned a lot about how flow affects coral. I have even seen the relationship at work by just increasing flow when stony corals were bleaching.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Yes! Watching Jake is where I learned a lot about how flow affects coral. I have even seen the relationship at work by just increasing flow when stony corals were bleaching.

Flow is the only way corals get food, building blocks, other necessary things for life. It is also how they get rid of everything they don't want/need. Some of these unwanted things are deadly to them long term.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say to turn off flow to par check your tank so I would be curious to see a comparison of par with flow on and flow off.

OP
OP
Reefer Matt

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They say to turn off flow to par check your tank so I would be curious to see a comparison of par with flow on and flow off.
I’ve done that. It’s a steady number with flow off. With flow on, you get a variable value from the reflections of the water surface, but within a range. I take par readings with flow on and use the average of the numbers I see from high to low. I also leave my lids on and tilt the meter wand under it.

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow is really important… I have a Hydros System controlling my tank. The Wave engine controls the flow from three gyres. One is vertical on the back wall and flushes out everything that may want to build up back there. The other two gyres are left side back, right side front. They are on a random anti sync pattern that peaks at 70%. There’s a ton of flow in the tank. This is an SPS dominated system. Every day at 1:00 PM an upwelling pattern kicks in at a 100% peak for a half hour with all three gyres. You can literally see particles upwelling and exiting out the overflow. The tank stays clean and corals are happy. Can’t stress how important flow is.

Back