Dollabella sea hare

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello Reefers one and all :). I have just a couple questions or two about Dollabella hares. Has anyone had one? If so, will a dollabella hare clean up the sides of a 120g reef tank like all the way to the top? Permitting there is a "great load" of GHA... As I just have it on the sides of the glass and it's in between the back rocks and glass. I cant get to it and I think I a hare will do... I have no GHA so far on any rocks at all but I need to act fast - I am sure. I do not want to use Vibrant ever again but need be , I do have 32oz's lol. Thanks I would appreciate any advise or any past experience's with a Dollabella.

Last edited:

joseph scott

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sea hares in my 150 tall, and two in my 75 gallon tank. I have seen them go up the glass all the way to the top. They are algae eating machines. My oldest i have had for more than two years, it’s about 7 inches long. I was catching it and rotating it between tanks. Then i got three more so I wouldn’t have to do that. Don’t get the black California sea hares, they didnt eat much when i had them. I run my tanks at 80 degrees so maybe that was too warm for that species and they died. Make sure your power heads are on an off and on wave function. I find that prevents them from getting stuck in the power heads.

littlefoxx

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive had a few, great for algae and will eat all it up! They dont live longer than a year…

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have one currently in my 120, granted they are a little slow in my tank (which is completely covered in gha, was choking a few of my corals) but they do work, I've seen them climb the glass but I've noticed they tend to clean the sandbed/lower rock structures first before climbing to find foos

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two sea hares in my 150 tall, and two in my 75 gallon tank. I have seen them go up the glass all the way to the top. They are algae eating machines. My oldest i have had for more than two years, it’s about 7 inches long. I was catching it and rotating it between tanks. Then i got three more so I wouldn’t have to do that. Don’t get the black California sea hares, they didnt eat much when i had them. I run my tanks at 80 degrees so maybe that was too warm for that species and they died. Make sure your power heads are on an off and on wave function. I find that prevents them from getting stuck in the power heads.
Cool.. Thank you I just have never been around one before. We learn every day.. I will get a couple of them, no LFS around me I will have to put in an order. ASAP !!! But another question that you brought up, how do you supplement them after MOST (if not all) the GHA is gone...? I fact you are raising them at this point is that correct?

OP
OP
Delatedlotus

Delatedlotus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Cool.. Thank you I just have never been around one before. We learn every day.. I will get a couple of them, no LFS around me I will have to put in an order. ASAP !!! But another question that you brought up, how do you supplement them after MOST (if not all) the GHA is gone...? I fact you are raising them at this point is that correct?
Bump

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back