easier way to do water changes

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi. Wondering if anyone knows of an easier way to do water changes other than dumping 5 gallon jugs into the tank. My tank is only 29 gallons so I change out 5 gallons once a month. I've heard of automatic water changes but that doesn't seem realistic for a tank my size. I also read about a python syphon but that's not helpful either i think that's only for Fresh water tanks because it talks about putting water back in from the tap. any ideas?

OP
OP
N

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought a spare pump and keep it with my water change stuff, set the bucket next to the tank, ran an output hose into the tank and plug in the pump!
would you mind telling me what kind of pump. I was thinking if I could get the jug up higher like the same height as the tank base, i could probably siphon in the same way I syphon out, by sucking the tube to get it going.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it was one of the Sicce small ones, didn't break the bank. Just something Salt rated I could attached a hose to. I end up with a few inches of water left over but I dump that back into my mixing station for next time.

kyreefville

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've done syphon into sump and thats better than pouring but have to turn return pump to keep the sump level low enough. Maybe your sump has 5 gallons of water space? I've also just put my ato in the new bucket and hit the fill button though it's slow. A pump in the bucket is faster and any old power head hooked to a hose would work.

aSaltyKlown

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Python to empty the water down my kitchen sink. Then run the Python to my 20 gallon brute and use a 1/3 HP 2450GPH submersible water pump I got on Amazon for $60. I have the pump connected to a WIFI outlet that i can turn on and off from my phone. The Brute is 50+ feet on the other side of the house and on level down. So the pump is pumping up a 14ft head height. Works like a champ.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just dump 2.5 gallons in at a time. If you can get the jug up high enough to syphon you may as well pour it in. Only other option would be setting up an auto change system or a pump and a section of hose. I mix in the basement and pump upstairs using a pond pump and a long hose. Pump is connected to a remote controlled outlet.

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I’m lazy

I buy 5g of sw from LFS for 5$.
Check it’s 1.026. Sometime it’s 1.25. Add bit of salt if needed
Empty 5g out with python
Small ato pump and tubing in the bucket, pump water back in tank
Dump in what pump can’t get

OP
OP
N

Noodles_Jefferson

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok, thanks everyone. As I said, it's a small 29 gallon tank with HOB filter and protein skimmer. I don't have a sump or anything fancy. i'll just keep doing it the old fashioned way for now.

JTP424

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
if you could post a link to the type of pump you're talking about, that would be much appreciated!
Here's what I use.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back