Evidence of (some) "asterina" / aquilonastra stars eating (some) zoanthids

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is meant to provide data on whether or not the common tiny starfish known as "asterina" or aquilonastra are actually eating corals in reef tanks.
First, a comment on the name. All these types are in the family asterinidae, and within that family there is a genus asterina, and another genus aquilonastra. We believe that the tiny stars we refer to are in the genus aquilonastra. A number of these similar species got reclassified from genus asterina into aquilonastra (asterina burtoni got reclassified as aquilonastra burtoni for instance). My guess is that Aquilonastra conandae and A. burtoni are good candidates for most of the tiny stars in the hobby. Paper reference h/t @ISpeakForTheSeas and @Timfish is attached.

In my tank there have been phases when I grew a lot of zoas of various kinds, and I've also had phases of aquilonastra star introduction and rapid multiplication and observed what looked like feeding behavior on many zoas, and their decline.
There are many alternate explanations given to suggest these stars are not coral eaters: they are consuming biofilm, or the zoas are already diseased /dying, and the stars are consuming dead tissue, or consuming zoa tissue that is unhealthy in some way.

To try to address some of those and add a little bit of evidence to the question, I took some zoanthid frags and placed them on my sandbed or in an exclusion device of some sort.
The first exclusion device was simply to tie a frag to string hanging from the lid so it was suspended in the water. The second exclusion device was a water bottle that I cut out the sides of and replaced with net glued around it. The third exclusion device was simply a breeder box when I realized that's all I really wanted.

exclusion.jpg

The effect of each of these exclusion methods was the same. In each one, zoa polyps were basically all open - while frags on the sand were often partially or totally closed.

So here's the actual data. What's plotted in this the data is the number of open polyps for three frags (cheap, likely nameless zoas) - I label them green, orange, and red. During this experiment one or two frags were always left exposed on the sand, and one or two were always protected by the exclusion devices. Zoas were rotated between protected and unprotected. The stars in the tank numbered in the hundreds.

StarsVsZoas.png

The blue circles annotate the time when a frag was protected by an exclusion device. No frags decreased numbers of open polyps while protected.
Note that the green and orange zoas were much more quickly affected by being exposed, the red zoa - perhaps not at all. There is certainly a preference between different zoa types. Others have observed this also. No other corals seem to be eaten by the stars.

Below is an example of the polyp reduction and observed star behavior (green zoa).

starvsGreen.jpg

Here are some pictures of the only type of star I observe in my system during this experiment.

aquilonastra_individuals.jpg

The individuals are light or white with grey, brown/red, and orange speckles. I've seen 5 to 7 arms - most have 6.
It's been suggested (Dong Zou on reefbum 1:16:42) that ones with some red coloration are coral-eaters and my observations are consistent with that. I considered the possibility that the red coloration is a color that is created when the animal feeds on corals (nudibranch color is often coral-diet driven), but individuals from my sump with no access to corals also have the same red + orange spots. So this is not a coral diet-induced color.

This data presented here does not address the question of whether there is something else that might've been consuming the zoas (crab, fish etc) that might also have been kept away by the exclusion chamber. To address this aspect in Part 2 - I have a harlequin shrimp that has now removed all visible stars from my system. We'll see how the zoa frags do with the aquilonastra stars essentially wiped out from the system.

Bonus: here's a time-lapse I've posted before of seemingly predatory behavior from years ago when I had a lot of zoas and my star population rapidly grew for the first time.

Attachments

• OLoughlinRowe2006Aquilonastra.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 28

Rick Mathew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is meant to provide data on whether or not the common tiny starfish known as "asterina" or aquilonastra are actually eating corals in reef tanks.
First, a comment on the name. All these types are in the family asterinidae, and within that family there is a genus asterina, and another genus aquilonastra. We believe that the tiny stars we refer to are in the genus aquilonastra. A number of these similar species got reclassified from genus asterina into aquilonastra (asterina burtoni got reclassified as aquilonastra burtoni for instance). My guess is that Aquilonastra conandae and A. burtoni are good candidates for most of the tiny stars in the hobby. Paper reference h/t @ISpeakForTheSeas and @Timfish is attached.

In my tank there have been phases when I grew a lot of zoas of various kinds, and I've also had phases of aquilonastra star introduction and rapid multiplication and observed what looked like feeding behavior on many zoas, and their decline.
There are many alternate explanations given to suggest these stars are not coral eaters: they are consuming biofilm, or the zoas are already diseased /dying, and the stars are consuming dead tissue, or consuming zoa tissue that is unhealthy in some way.

To try to address some of those and add a little bit of evidence to the question, I took some zoanthid frags and placed them on my sandbed or in an exclusion device of some sort.
The first exclusion device was simply to tie a frag to string hanging from the lid so it was suspended in the water. The second exclusion device was a water bottle that I cut out the sides of and replaced with net glued around it. The third exclusion device was simply a breeder box when I realized that's all I really wanted.

exclusion.jpg

The effect of each of these exclusion methods was the same. In each one, zoa polyps were basically all open - while frags on the sand were often partially or totally closed.

So here's the actual data. What's plotted in this the data is the number of open polyps for three frags (cheap, likely nameless zoas) - I label them green, orange, and red. During this experiment one or two frags were always left exposed on the sand, and one or two were always protected by the exclusion devices. Zoas were rotated between protected and unprotected. The stars in the tank numbered in the hundreds.

StarsVsZoas.png

The blue circles annotate the time when a frag was protected by an exclusion device. No frags decreased numbers of open polyps while protected.
Note that the green and orange zoas were much more quickly affected by being exposed, the red zoa - perhaps not at all. There is certainly a preference between different zoa types. Others have observed this also. No other corals seem to be eaten by the stars.

Below is an example of the polyp reduction and observed star behavior (green zoa).

starvsGreen.jpg

Here are some pictures of the only type of star I observe in my system during this experiment.

aquilonastra_individuals.jpg

The individuals are light or white with grey, brown/red, and orange speckles. I've seen 5 to 7 arms - most have 6.
It's been suggested (Dong Zou on reefbum 1:16:42) that ones with some red coloration are coral-eaters and my observations are consistent with that. I considered the possibility that the red coloration is a color that is created when the animal feeds on corals (nudibranch color is often coral-diet driven), but individuals from my sump with no access to corals also have the same red + orange spots. So this is not a coral diet-induced color.

This data presented here does not address the question of whether there is something else that might've been consuming the zoas (crab, fish etc) that might also have been kept away by the exclusion chamber. To address this aspect in Part 2 - I have a harlequin shrimp that has now removed all visible stars from my system. We'll see how the zoa frags do with the aquilonastra stars essentially wiped out from the system.

Bonus: here's a time-lapse I've posted before of seemingly predatory behavior from years ago when I had a lot of zoas and my star population rapidly grew for the first time.

Awesome...Nice work!

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Note that the green and orange zoas were much more quickly affected by being exposed, the red zoa - perhaps not at all. There is certainly a preference between different zoa types.
Great stuff here - I wonder if there would be some difference in the consumption of the corals based on their placement in the tank (i.e. on the rock vs the sand, in different levels of flow or light, etc.).

Thank you for including good pics of your specimens - I've been meaning to get around to asking for pics of suspected coral-eating Aquilonastra stars for a while now to see if we can figure out reef-safe vs not reef-safe species, and this is a great start.

Anyway, a few relevant notes from me - 1:
I've heard some species eat corals and others don't - I've seen convincing evidence for one species (a very darkly colored one), and one piece of somewhat convincing evidence for one different species, but the vast majority of these guys seem to be at least mostly safe.

With regards to whether or not the average "Asterina" (technically Aquilonastra - Asterina is a separate genus within the Asterinidae family) eat corals, it might be a species specific thing, it might be a you have way too many starfish so they're out of other food options thing, it might be they're eating the slime coat/mucus on the coral rather than the coral itself (see below), or they might just opportunistically eat unhealthy corals. Based on how starfish eat, it seems plausible to me that it may also be coincidental (i.e. the star goes to eat something off the coral and the coral just happens to be one that is able to be negatively effected by the star's everted stomach).
2:
Them eating from just one colony of the zoas despite having two colonies of the same variety is interesting - to me, that would seem to indicate that they're either feeding on something that's only on the colony and not the other (such as specific bacteria species or biofilms), or that the other colony may be more toxic or something.

Given that they don't seem to be eating the full polyp/coral and the faded color mentioned, I'm currently inclined to think they're feeding on biofilm on the colony, and that their everted stomachs happen to be digesting/damaging parts of the zoas in the process.
I think they may eventually make their way to the other colony if their numbers get high enough (right now they are still pretty low in numbers) only see 1 or 2 on the glass at any given time and maybe a dozen if scouring the tank looking for then at any given time

So I believe probably they would snack on the other colony as well just haven’t made their way to it yet

But another thing that is interesting to me is how the one animal managed to reach every single polyp of the colony , systematically (I was doing my best to keep track) but don’t think he missed a single polyp

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wonder if there would be some difference in the consumption of the corals based on their placement in the tank (i.e. on the rock vs the sand, in different levels of flow or light, etc.).
My stars go on rock everywhere and glass up to near the waterline, but they do like cruising the sand.
So I don't think elevating the zoas is a sufficient strategy.

I've been meaning to get around to asking for pics of suspected coral-eating Aquilonastra stars for a while now to see if we can figure out reef-safe vs not reef-safe species, and this is a great start.
It's pretty easy to find pics from people of the ones that look like what I posted (with the red/orange spots), behaving badly on zoas.
I'd be interested if the type lacking the red/orange also gets caught doing that. Or maybe that is a good identifying distinction.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stars go on rock everywhere and glass up to near the waterline, but they do like cruising the sand.
So I don't think elevating the zoas is a sufficient strategy.

It's pretty easy to find pics from people of the ones that look like what I posted (with the red/orange spots), behaving badly on zoas.
I'd be interested if the type lacking the red/orange also gets caught doing that. Or maybe that is a good identifying distinction.
Oh, I was meaning more because of how the corals react rather than the stars, but I agree that I doubt it would make much difference.

Yeah, I'm hoping to figure out the specific species if possible - the red/orange spots are a good ID characteristic for that purpose (as is the number of legs like you described). From what I've seen, the color seems to be completely independent of diet for these and things like the spots mentioned seem to be useful for at least narrowing down to a handful of species instead of the full genus.

OP
OP
taricha

taricha

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, I was meaning more because of how the corals react rather than the stars, but I agree that I doubt it would make much difference.
right. I'll feel better about that aspect after Part 2: just growing zoa frags on the same spot in the sand with the harlequin shrimp having eradicated the stars.
Because the exclusion net and breeder box slow the flow, and the breeder box being higher may get more light. So, just removing stars from the tank is the easiest way to eliminate those variables.

I'm currently inclined to think they're feeding on biofilm on the colony, and that their everted stomachs happen to be digesting/damaging parts of the zoas in the process.

One more comment on the question of whether the stars are eating coral tissue or biofilm.
in this frame from the time lapse I posted above, if you look at the polyp circled in yellow - you'll notice it's significantly darker than the others.
Screenshot_20240708_091404_Chrome.jpg

The darkened tissue is from part of the skirt/oral disc being removed, and you are seeing the mostly exposed symbionts.
The reason I say that is that during this time, I pulled an actively feeding star off of the mouth of a polyp in that colony and a cloud of brown symbiont dust went into the water, most of the skirt and oral disc was seemingly gone.
So if feeding on the surface films degrades tissue, and they also feed on polyps with degraded tissue all the way down to exposed symbionts... then there is no distinction left to be made - that's just eating coral polyps.

Other people seem to be observing likely the same.
IMG_3779.jpeg

I have plenty of asterina stars in my tank - they are model citizens. They crawl around and don’t seem to bother much of anything.

A month ago, I noticed an asterina on a GMK polyp. I didn’t pay much attention to it, figuring that the star was merely munching on film or whatever around the polyp. After, I noticed there was a black/darkened spot in the zoa, similar to that seen here. I dipped the GMK frag in Reef Dip, but that polyp eventually died. Today, the same sequence of events happened, sans the zoa death.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So if feeding on the surface films degrades tissue, and they also feed on polyps with degraded tissue all the way down to exposed symbionts... then there is no distinction left to be made - that's just eating coral polyps.
Haha, that's true and a good counterpoint. This does make me wonder though if we could figure out what the stars eat when they don't have access to zoas.

Edit: I also wonder if we could figure out a way to tell why they're showing a preference for/going for certain colonies but not others.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

She's just giving him a hug

I am certainly glad there is science now to back up why I don't like those things and they are KOS

I've been seeing this behavior for decades with the zoas and Aquilonastra spp starfish in my tanks with no apparent harm to the zoas. When I got active last decade on the forums and started seeing aquarists asserting "asterina" stasrfish were killing zoas I decided to look int the research and discovered what we had been calling "asterina" had been reclassified over a decade before. A pretty good example of parroting and not checking the scinec if you ask me. Taricha has provided some important information on species (genotype?) specific behavior and responses. Having learned how important it is for coral to shed thier mucus coatings and seen corals benefit from aquilonastra my takaway is to avoid the ones with red flecks on their dorsal side, fortunatley in my systems those are almost nonexistant.

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been seeing this behavior for decades with the zoas and Aquilonastra spp starfish in my tanks with no apparent harm to the zoas. When I got active last decade on the forums and started seeing aquarists asserting "asterina" stasrfish were killing zoas I decided to look int the research and discovered what we had been calling "asterina" had been reclassified over a decade before. A pretty good example of parroting and not checking the scinec if you ask me. Taricha has provided some important information on species (genotype?) specific behavior and responses. Having learned how important it is for coral to shed thier mucus coatings and seen corals benefit from aquilonastra my takaway is to avoid the ones with red flecks on their dorsal side, fortunatley in my systems those are almost nonexistant.
When I had this issue with aqualonastra stars zoas would always die after being face sucked. The stars would avoid healthy colonies but new frags like the one in my photo would be targeted.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, the taxonomy tree has changed all my life

I don't feel it's my responsibility(no longer), to have to actively search out when other people change the name of asterina starfish

I don't care

Whatever it's called, I am pulling them out of my tank and killing them. Whether they eat zoas or not. They look ugly and deformed, and are a sign of an unkempt system

People know what is meant when one says or writes asterina starfish

It's not a star and it's not a fish either, one knows what is meant
1000003033.jpg

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This thread is meant to provide data on whether or not the common tiny starfish known as "asterina" or aquilonastra are actually eating corals in reef tanks . . .

Cool! and Kudos!

With all the research showing not only species specific but genotype specific behavior your data certainly helps add to our understanding of what's going on in our systems.

I'd add that I also have not seen differences in coloration that I could link to diatery differences. Most of the Aquilonastra starfish I see are variations of basicly grey. I have seen the ones with red flecking but they're not common. Unfortunately some will use this as justification to remove all aquilonastra even though the majority are providing and essential service for corals helping them remove old biofilms that need to be rejuveniated. Your video seems to me to provide that evidance and as I have seen aquiloastra sit on top of zoas like the one in your system and teh zoas are fine afterwords it would have been nice to see what happened long term

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I had this issue with aqualonastra stars zoas would always die after being face sucked. The stars would avoid healthy colonies but new frags like the one in my photo would be targeted.

Sounds to me like they might have been doing you a favor. ;)

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 different types in my tank.. very tiny grey ones that multiply like crazy and some rather large ones that are kinda cool and don’t seem to multiply. By large I’d say about 3/4” inch or so and always have all their legs.
IMG_3443.jpeg

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

They definitly eat zoanthids. Maybe not all species but I have common ones and they eat zoa.

They ate almost a whole colony of exosphere on me. I relocated the exosphere to a protective box and they recovered. I added a harlequin and he ate 95% of the stars and the colony of exosphere has not degraded or lost any polyps since

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally, the taxonomy tree has changed all my life

I don't feel it's my responsibility(no longer), to have to actively search out when other people change the name of asterina starfish

I don't care

Whatever it's called, I am pulling them out of my tank and killing them. Whether they eat zoas or not. They look ugly and deformed, and are a sign of an unkempt system

People know what is meant when one says or writes asterina starfish

It's not a star and it's not a fish either, one knows what is meant

You're right, "a rose by another name would still be as sweet", and there's no accounting for taste. :) But considering how critical healthy biofilms are to corals having an animals that helps clean up old diseased biofilms seems to me to bee a good thing, even if they are "ugly" and "deformed".

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 2 different types in my tank.. very tiny grey ones that multiply like crazy and some rather large ones that are kinda cool and don’t seem to multiply. By large I’d say about 3/4” inch or so and always have all their legs.
IMG_3443.jpeg

I've tried to figure out how many species I have and really am not sure. Since most have very similar coloration I'm not sure hat's an adequite or apropriate distinction. Some do have flecks of color like the ones in the OP so hose might be identified. Based on average size it's tempting to say I have 3 different spcies but it's speculation. I do have some that that average as large as your's and I do see ones that have recently split but they do seem to have a much longer time between splits compared to some smaller ones.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've tried to figure out how many species I have and really am not sure. Since most have very similar coloration I'm not sure hat's an adequite or apropriate distinction. Some do have flecks of color like the ones in the OP so hose might be identified. Based on average size it's tempting to say I have 3 different spcies but it's speculation. I do have some that that average as large as your's and I do see ones that have recently split but they do seem to have a much longer time between splits compared to some smaller ones.
The tiny grey ones I have split like crazy and don’t get bigger than 1/4” everyone of them is deformed lol.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I will add this on. I bought a colony of healthy exospheres that a reefer was growing out for a year. 25+ polyps.

Put in my tank and was doing great for a week or so and then I started noticing the polyps were closed and I was losing them one by one. They appeared to be melting.

I have other zoa in my tank that always have, and still are, untouched by them. But for whatever reason this new group was targeted. Dipping didn’t help. There was nothing wrong with the colony. Isolating the colony in a protective box stopped the issue and they started opening again next day and regrew.

This was originally on a frag shelf well off the sand and away from crabs.

I was told to look for the starfish and sure enough I found them. The protective box kept the starfish away. The exosphere started opening and recovered.

after removing the starfish from my system, the exosphere remain back in the original area and have not had any issues

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back