Filler Corals

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As my tank begins to fill in, I’ve been looking for a “filler coral” to cover up the rocks in between the corals. My tank is mostly SPS so the majority of the corals are a couple inches encrusted and then branch out, but I do have a euphyllia island and am currently starting on a zoa garden.
I’m looking for a coral that is fast growing and provides some movement and color but also cannot overgrow or sting my other corals. The first things to come to my head were blue clove polyps, clavularia, and to some extent, xenia.
Does anybody have experience with anything like this?

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you like SPS corals, I would recommend you try some encrusting corals. Like encrusting monti, chalice, leptoseris, etc. They won't rapidly overtake your rock, and will look awesome. Also they can take some less light from shading.

OP
OP
tdileo

tdileo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Since you like SPS corals, I would recommend you try some encrusting corals. Like encrusting monti, chalice, leptoseris, etc. They won't rapidly overtake your rock, and will look awesome. Also they can take some less light from shading.

That’s a good idea, but I’m worried about them fighting with the corals that have already encrusted down. I was thinking maybe something like blue sympodium would lack the sting to grow over my SPS but would just fill in everywhere in between. I do like the idea of leptos for filling in low light spaces though, didn’t even think of them.

Capitol Reef Corals

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s a good idea, but I’m worried about them fighting with the corals that have already encrusted down. I was thinking maybe something like blue sympodium would lack the sting to grow over my SPS but would just fill in everywhere in between. I do like the idea of leptos for filling in low light spaces though, didn’t even think of them.
I've found that the base of the encrusting acros will usually win or be even with most other normal encrusting SPS. But yea definitely go for it!

norfolkgarden

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Grsfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have some red and green monti cap in my tank now thAt I think I will leave out when I upgrade. It does grow pretty fast and either grows on or tries to shade out my other corals. So far my zoas thAt are growing next to my sps don’t seem to be bothering them...

What member(s) of your home reef are your priority?

• My fish

Votes: 23 37.1%
  • My coral

Votes: 34 54.8%
  • My inverts

Votes: 3 4.8%
  • Other Livestock (Please explain!)

Votes: 2 3.2%
Back