First RODI install. Where to connect with well water?

Mjm1121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all, so I’ll be installing my 5 stage RODI soon. Just not sure what water line to tap. I don’t have a sink in my utility room where this will be going. I plan on drilling a small hole to connect my waste water line to the washer drainage which is just behind the wall in that first pic. I do have a well so not sure if that affects where I should set it up. I’m reluctant to tap into the copper pipes at this point. Here are some pics of what’s going on in there:

IMG_5369.jpeg IMG_5368.jpeg IMG_5370.jpeg

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a softener? If so after that. You can use the saddle valve but it would be better to use a pex fitting if its going in pex with an on/off valve. If its going into pvc use a t with a valve and a murlock fitting for the rodi line.

OP
OP
Mjm1121

Mjm1121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a softener? If so after that. You can use the saddle valve but it would be better to use a pex fitting if its going in pex with an on/off valve. If its going into pvc use a t with a valve and a murlock fitting for the rodi line.
Thanks that clears it up I think I’d be putting it on the cold water Pex after the filter. Don’t have a softener.

OP
OP
Mjm1121

Mjm1121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. That valve only works with pex tubing and you’ll need a crimping tool. You should get one like this. Works on copper or pex, no special tools needed

A saddle valve is not long lasting.

For the drain you can just stick it into the top of the pipe, the same place the washing machine hose goes into

OP
OP
Mjm1121

Mjm1121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hey all, so I’ll be installing my 5 stage RODI soon. Just not sure what water line to tap. I don’t have a sink in my utility room where this will be going. I plan on drilling a small hole to connect my waste water line to the washer drainage which is just behind the wall in that first pic. I do have a well so not sure if that affects where I should set it up. I’m reluctant to tap into the copper pipes at this point. Here are some pics of what’s going on in there:

IMG_5369.jpeg IMG_5368.jpeg IMG_5370.jpeg
When I had well system, I ran my water through a water softener, then a whole house filter then to RODI unit

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks. So that first one should work?
If you have pex crimp rings and crimping tool it will.
Also, the first valve is barb style which goes inside the pex which will reduce flow in that line

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes or the sharkbite one that @theMeat posted. On the sharkbite one you may need to find the inserts that need to be in the fitting for it to work properly for pex they dont always come with the inserts dont leave them out. But if you have a crimp tool the one you posted will work the exact same, then just screw a female 1/4" mur-lok fitting on it and plug in the supply to the rodi. If you want you can do it separately too sharkbit makes 1/2" pex to mur-lok valves and t fittings, you would need a small section of pex tube also. I have seen the valves with a male fitting designed to go into a sharkbite fitting instead of the line section I think brs sells them still. The lowes close to me closed so all I have is hd and menards now lowes had a better selection. Dont forget the inserts if you go sharkbite! Ask me how I know.....lol

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last edited:
OP
OP
Mjm1121

Mjm1121

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for the delay team, life is life-ing. But I’ve got the right fitting I believe, haven’t connected anything yet. I also have the tank and stand in, so it’s getting real! Is there a way for me to know if I’ll need a booster pump before the install? I have decent pressure with the well but not what I’m used to from the city obviously.

Buckeye Hydro

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your well pump is controlled by a pressure switch. Assuming you do not have a variable speed well pump, then your pump will turn on at 30 or 40 psi, and off at 50 or 60 psi. So your pressure will vary. If you have a Filmtec brand membrane, it is spec'ed at 50 psi. Most other brands are at 60 or 65 psi. Would you benefit from a booster pump? Very likely. You can always install your system and run it for a while and monitor your water pressure with the pressure gauge on the RODI. Adding a pump after the fact is no harder/more expensive than adding it during the initial installation. https://www.buckeyehydro.com/booster-and-delivery-pumps/

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back