First time reefing, Live Rock+Dry rock/Cycling ?s

HailOrHighWater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently set up first 15g Nano Reef Tank ever from Hello Reef Monday evening! Its been cycling with Dr Tims one and only for two days now and after work I went to my LFS looking for Ammonia/Nitrite test kits. They asked how I was setting it up and mentioned I could also use live rock to go with the dry life rock that came with it to help with the cycle as well as dosing Microbacter7 daily. Decided to give it a go. My main questions are would you consider my rock height too high with the new pieces of Live Rock? I will probably remove the white live rock piece after cycle to allow more room for fish in the tank to swim. And how do you feel about using Microbacter7 after adding Dr Tims a couple days ago? Not too sure how much it will speed up the Nitrogen cycle but will continue to test Ammonia and Nitrite daily until I notice any additions. Apologies for how many times you all have probably red or answered this. Cheers!

Attached are before and after Live Rock Pics

Fish 1.jpg Fish2.jpg

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Welcome!

I agree. I would remove some of the dry rock. You’ll thank yourself down the road when you add corals and they start growing UP!

Also, with the live rock you shouldn’t need any additional cycling. You can test if you want to be sure, but the live rock should have the bacteria needed to process any ammonia produced by fish. Others will chime in but you’re probably good to go ahead and add your first fish :)

The MB7 isn’t really necessary IMO.

OP
OP
HailOrHighWater

HailOrHighWater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The dry rock is super glued and epoxied together at the moment. I pulled it out to try and attach the live rock quickly the same way before it started to dry out last night, and just laid the white live rock in there for the time being. If I were to remove some of the dry rock and reconfigure the layout, how long would I have to do so before harming the beneficial bacteria on the live rock? The epoxy calls for usually a minimum of 24 hours to cure, sometimes 3 days lol thank you both for reaching out!

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Recently set up first 15g Nano Reef Tank ever from Hello Reef Monday evening! Its been cycling with Dr Tims one and only for two days now and after work I went to my LFS looking for Ammonia/Nitrite test kits. They asked how I was setting it up and mentioned I could also use live rock to go with the dry life rock that came with it to help with the cycle as well as dosing Microbacter7 daily. Decided to give it a go. My main questions are would you consider my rock height too high with the new pieces of Live Rock? I will probably remove the white live rock piece after cycle to allow more room for fish in the tank to swim. And how do you feel about using Microbacter7 after adding Dr Tims a couple days ago? Not too sure how much it will speed up the Nitrogen cycle but will continue to test Ammonia and Nitrite daily until I notice any additions. Apologies for how many times you all have probably red or answered this. Cheers!

Attached are before and after Live Rock Pics

Fish 1.jpg Fish2.jpg
My question is, was the live rock really live? Was it wet?
Just want to make sure they didn't sell you "life" rock. That is just painted purple on the dry shelf.

Actual live, wet rock can be taken out of the water for some time without damage. They used to ship it in damp newspaper. Some now ship it in actual water to preserve it better.

That live wet rock can support life already.
What's your plans for the tank?
I wouldn't go and fill it right up but take your time.

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
If/when you reconfigure your rock, use superglue gel (cyanoacrilate). The thick stuff. It dries/cures much faster than epoxy - especially if you use an accelerator. You can adhere it, hold it for a few minutes max and put it right back into the water. The epoxy is great but for your rock sizes it’s not necessary. If I’m not mistaken though, you can put epoxy back in the water too. It doesn’t need to cure outside the water.

OP
OP
HailOrHighWater

HailOrHighWater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is, was the live rock really live? Was it wet?
Just want to make sure they didn't sell you "life" rock. That is just painted purple on the dry shelf.

Actual live, wet rock can be taken out of the water for some time without damage. They used to ship it in damp newspaper. Some now ship it in actual water to preserve it better.

That live wet rock can support life already.
What's your plans for the tank?
I wouldn't go and fill it right up but take your time.
I'm hoping so, it was in a big tub of water with a bunch of other pieces, three kinds total and had a pump in it. To be fair after reading through some threads on here, I'm not sure if they were dosing ammonia to the rock. It's a Saltwater Reef store here, closest one for 30-40 miles, but I didn't have a way to tell 100% or know the right questions to ask. My plan for the tank was potentially a pair of Clowns, a Tailspot Blenny and a Fire Shrimp/Snails. Along with a few soft corals. Still trying to soak up a bunch of info on corals and arrange the tank accordingly.

OP
OP
HailOrHighWater

HailOrHighWater

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If/when you reconfigure your rock, use superglue gel (cyanoacrilate). The thick stuff. It dries/cures much faster than epoxy - especially if you use an accelerator. You can adhere it, hold it for a few minutes max and put it right back into the water. The epoxy is great but for your rock sizes it’s not necessary. If I’m not mistaken though, you can put epoxy back in the water too. It doesn’t need to cure outside the water.
Will definitely hunt some of that down, exactly what I was looking for. Thank you!

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm hoping so, it was in a big tub of water with a bunch of other pieces, three kinds total and had a pump in it. To be fair after reading through some threads on here, I'm not sure if they were dosing ammonia to the rock. It's a Saltwater Reef store here, closest one for 30-40 miles, but I didn't have a way to tell 100% or know the right questions to ask. My plan for the tank was potentially a pair of Clowns, a Tailspot Blenny and a Fire Shrimp/Snails. Along with a few soft corals. Still trying to soak up a bunch of info on corals and arrange the tank accordingly.
Sounds like live rock then. I'd just take out how ever much dead rock and throw in a fish. Love rock can handle that.

I use the thin superglue and aragonite sand method. Instant bond and will not break apart, ever.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is happening now with this tank?

You were the kindest new reefer I recall in a long time. Yes, answering Cycle questions gets old but it is always exciting to see new folks getting wet and excited and screaming out loud about their first days in the hobby.

Post a current pic so we can see how it is going!

Welcome to our community!

Did you add fish or coral yet?

Laugh Lol GIF by POWERS

We need an update, please. :smiling-face-with-sunglasses:

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 39 36.1%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 28 25.9%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 11.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back