Fish Compatibility, Eels, Octopus & Invertebrates

Bsmith072

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife and I are in the process of trying to figure out what fish we want to go with so we can also determine a minimum tank size, but I had a few questions that I believe will help us along the way to putting our reef tank together. I'm sure these answers are available in other posts around the forums but I like having this info all in one spot.

1. I've seen a couple of compatibility charts now that which are helpful but I assume I shouldn't take them as gospel, though they do get me wondering what should be looked at to truly determine what fish would work well together besides being reef compatible and temperament?

2. We are interested in having an eel and/or octopus but from what I've gathered from the online stores that they're a more difficult animal to care for and to keep with other fish. The compatibility charts I've seen list most fish as either don't keep in the same tank as an eel or with caution but nothing about octopus. What would those cautions be and would it even be a good idea for first timers to mess with an eel/octopus?

3. Is there a way to tell what invertebrates would work with whatever fish we choose or a good rule of thumb?

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm sure these answers are available in other posts around the forums but I like having this info all in one spot.
No need to explain, this post is not even close to the redundancy of “which salt is better”, “DSB or BB?” and “ water change or not” :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: ;):rolleyes:
also
I wouldn’t go by “Reef with caution” as any guide…

…octopus? several threads here on them I think, my take away when reading is: short lived, amusing escape artist…
just off the cuff I can’t envision any small crab or shrimp with a octopus …don’t know about clams and snails

…usually Fire shrimp and skunk cleaners survive most predators, how much faith you have is up to you..I have skunk cleaners in with marine bettas and lion fish without issue

Upvote 0

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back