Flatworm ID and help

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I see these on the glass in my display refugium but do not see anywhere else throughout the system. I shut off the flow for now until I can solve my issue. They are brown and only appear on the glass for what I have seen. I did search other threads but can not be certain after my readings. Please help.

IMG_5084.JPG

IMG_5080.JPG

IMG_5081.JPG

OP
OP
Chef Tommy

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are dark brown. Luckily I do not see them anywhere else. This tank drains into sumps refugium. Thanks for the help!! What is best way to eradicate?

OP
OP
Chef Tommy

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Actually now I’m thinking about it, all the snails in the tank are gone too. Just thought it was their lifecycle but these popped up yesterday all over glass.

OP
OP
Chef Tommy

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did read a wrasse would eat these up, I wanted to get a six line on Saturday and he could live in the tank for awhile if this would be a good idea. I’d prefer not to use a chemical treatment. Just went through 6 weeks of partial water changes to lower tin found on icp test. Kind of ironic I switched to Triton! Lol but I did find the culprit of tin.

Anyhow the infestation is in my 7.5 display refugium and hopefully the wrasse idea will be good.

IMG_3554.JPG

fullsizeoutput_4e9.jpeg

Thanks again for the help! This site should have been around since the ‘80’s!! Lol

Nick Gianakos

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sixlines and Springeri damsels may eat them. I know you said that you don't want to do the chemical approach but I've personally had luck with the salifert flatworm exit. If you do use it just make sure to have a lot of carbon on hand to pull out the toxins the flatworms can release when they die.

SHNICI

Well-Known Member and Coral Cabin owner
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

KJ

Lone Wolf
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really hard to tell what kind of flatworm this is, this pic is a little too dark.

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is really hard to tell what kind of flatworm this is, this pic is a little too dark.
@KJ I still have my colony, I don't kill them (they are in separate box), and they look completely the same like my worms xD. The size is the same like my one (looking the size in that container 118ml), they mach the color of my, the shapes the red dot (square), and @Chef Tommy if you can turn torch light thru them and please take a photo from the outside, to see them the bottom side, I bet the red on them look like square frame with the same color dot in it. And my was budding and looking the same like this one.

Regards: SHNICI - Georgi

OP
OP
Chef Tommy

Chef Tommy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for more input guys!! I believe we have the same worm. My biggest concerns were about my acros. I have more on the way and got super nervous they could be the acropora eating kind.

Wow! You were able to get great pics which helped me figure it out [emoji4]. Arrg, first pest in 11 months of this setup. I should be happy about that though.

I’m just going to keep this tank offline from the main display and try the six line out. I’ll go chemical removal after a month if the wrasse does not get all of them.

I also have a pincushion urchin in the main display, would he be of any assistance?

Thanks again everyone for all of the input!! Again, so happy with such a helpful group of reefers, this site has become such a great spot with wonderful people that help keep you interested in the hobby [emoji4]

SHNICI

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for more input guys!! I believe we have the same worm. My biggest concerns were about my acros. I have more on the way and got super nervous they could be the acropora eating kind.

Wow! You were able to get great pics which helped me figure it out [emoji4]. Arrg, first pest in 11 months of this setup. I should be happy about that though.

I’m just going to keep this tank offline from the main display and try the six line out. I’ll go chemical removal after a month if the wrasse does not get all of them.

I also have a pincushion urchin in the main display, would he be of any assistance?

Thanks again everyone for all of the input!! Again, so happy with such a helpful group of reefers, this site has become such a great spot with wonderful people that help keep you interested in the hobby [emoji4]

I'm not sure, what will do the urchin to them.., but they run really fast when I disturb them, probably the urchin isn't that fast xD. I took of my tuxedo and gift it to the LFS, just because it eat all my coraline and macro algae :(

The good about this worms when I saw them, I never saw them on the Ricordea Yuma or on the Star polyps or on the zoas which was in that QT, I saw only one which was feeding on the hair algae, and other one on the detritus. But they are slow enough to catch them, and if you see any on the glass side, you can blow it with a torque and suck it back in to take it out, that work easy for me. I never saw them to lay eggs, only budding.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

BUBBLE CORALS VS. OPEN BRAIN CORALS! WHICH DO YOU LOVE MORE?

• Bubbles!

Votes: 14 29.8%
  • Brains!

Votes: 27 57.4%
  • I can't decide!

Votes: 6 12.8%
Back