Flow options for a 24x24x8 frag tank?

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just now cleaning and setting up and all-in-one frag tank and can't decide what my plans are for flow. I'll likely be starting with LPS and softies as that's just what I have on hand but have been debating whether to go with a gyre or more traditional powerhead. From my experience, gyres create a lot of flow, and my main concern is it may be too much, but they've been gaining popularity recently so I don't know about all the options.

Idoc

Getting lazier and lazier with upkeep!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only actual powerhead I have to spare is a nano hygger. I figure I'm going to need some more flow than that.
Oh yes, you will need more than that for the flow of the tank. I've used Tunze powerheads in my tank and really liked them since they could be adjusted for the amount of flow...and they won't break the bank like an Ecotech. I use IceCap gyres now and have been very happy with those.

OP
OP
T

Treehrtsme

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Oh yes, you will need more than that for the flow of the tank. I've used Tunze powerheads in my tank and really liked them since they could be adjusted for the amount of flow...and they won't break the bank like an Ecotech. I use IceCap gyres now and have been very happy with those.

I went with 2 if the new Maxspect jump models that link but can't decide on placement, mode, sync versus anti-sync. I figured I'd start with two on opposing sides and play with it a little but I'm still undecided. The return itself is about 200 GPH, I figured that'd be enough for turnover in an all-in-one. It's an advanced acrylics tank

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A TANK EMERGENCY? SHARE YOUR STORY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 54 65.1%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 26 31.3%
  • Other (pleas explain).

Votes: 3 3.6%
Back