Fluconazole and baby tangs need your help

Halal Hotdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all.

Last year I read a ton about iron, crushed a tablet and dosed my tank. It effectively killed all my zebrasoma and bristletooth tangs. Naso, powder blue, and leopard wrasses were fine.

Fast forward I have everything stable, and a few new fishes. I have two bristle tooth, a zebrasoma tang, and two different acanthurus tangs plus my powder blue, naso and leopard wrasses. I have used fluconazole in the past (3 years ago) in the form of reef flux and it worked very well. This time around I have fluconazole tablets 200mg/tab. I am terrified to add to my tank due to the fact all the new tangs are babies and I do not know how they will handle it. I have another flare up of bryopisis. I know how effective fluconazole is but am unsure what to do. I have my nitrates and phosphates to an undetectable level now. Does anyone have experience with baby tangs and how they reacted? I read a few threads on here about a couple of yellow tangs not doing well with fluconazole, but not much detail was posted. I love these fish and I cannot lose them. The bryopsis is choking out some of my corals. I have it to a point it is growing VERY SLOWLY but the old stuff is still there. Manual removal is just not possible due to how well rooted it is and volume. I have manually removed quite a bit, but there is still too much to practically physically remove. ATS is also growing algae very slowly now due to low nutrients, where as before it was growing gardens of algae. Really hoping for some first hand experiences. If nutrients rise corals like it but the algae consume it before the corals can and the problem worsens. At the current nutrient level corals are not growing but doing fine, and algae is consuming any undetectable amounts of nitrates and phosphates.

I want to add a bit of information. Purple tang is 2" and developed minor HLLE due to peroxide dosing. No other tang did, and 5 days after stopping any peroxide dosing and the HLLE is already getting better. He is a fat 2", always ate well.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 14 28.6%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 12 24.5%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 8 16.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back