Food recommendations for Plank feeder

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do people do in this situation?

I try to feed frozen food when I am home. I have a Plank feeder that I control using my Hydros system on a mixed reef with mostly smaller fish, but also a Tomini Tang and Midas Blenny. When I use it, I feed Reef Jerky but feel I have to add pellets and/or flakes to feed the larger tang and blenny and to get decent sized food particles to all corners of the tank to feed the fish that don't hang right under the feeder. I have an anthias on the way, and have a Midas blenny, and want to travel (and go to work) with at least 2 dry feedings per day and 3-4 when I travel.

Every time I try to auto-feed dry food (with pellets and PE mysis flakes), I get a green hair algae explosion. I want to feed 3-4x per day, which will result in a complete mess with the current food combo.

What are people doing for this? Is there a freeze-dried mix of larger plankton that I can feed the tank without spiking nutrients? (krill looks too big for the fish). I see hikari sells freeze dried vitamin and spirulina enriched brine shrimp, and freeze-dried mysis is broadly-available. Anyone have experience with those or recommend anything else?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 45 33.8%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 14 10.5%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 60 45.1%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.5%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 13 9.8%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 28 21.1%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 32 24.1%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 17 12.8%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 35 26.3%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back