FOWLR sump

likemike99

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so got a new house and got a great deal on a 180 gal.(build thread later) so I got a glass sump that is 40x12x15. good size but the down side is there is already some glass " glued" to the side walls.I am going to just get some acrylic from local store. I want to have just 2 filter socks (tanks have dual overflows) . (refug/overflow part has 10in long by 1 in high glass "rails" glued on both sides. I was going to use this as a platform for the filter socks. I was not going to create an overflow to flow into the socks, just have an overflow pipe from each side flow into its own pipe. the same chamber would hold the skimmer. I figured for a FOWLR tank less need for a refug. there is an UNDERFLOW baffle set up next. first baffle higher than the next baffle. I guess so the water flows from the bottom and less bubbles to go to the return pump chamber. I was going to just cut some fopam to capture the left over bubbles. How does that sound. I thought I might need to configure space in the first chamber for a refug at some point.
thanks all.

biznatch

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sump seems small for a 180g. Barely larger than the 30g long I'm using for my 135g freshwater.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glass baffles are way more durable than acrylic, silicone bond to glass is strong,
Yep. Trying to silicone acrylic to glass can be problematic in terms of staying power. That being said, that's exactly what I did and that sump lasted x5 years until the tank crashed.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.8%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 16 20.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.9%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.2%
Back