Frag Tank and Parameters

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m finally getting motivated to install an 80 gallon lowboy frag tank so I have someplace to house all my frags from coral growth in my main tank. I plan to plumb it into/from my DT sump in the basement.
What should I expect for my parameters once it’s online?
Will they be lower since there will be greater dilution due to more water volume?
Will they be higher as the biological filter and skimmer will have more water to filter?
Will it remain the same?

Formulator

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends which parameters you are talking about. Nitrate and phosphate will be diluted by the addition of new saltwater, the same way a water change lowers them. In general they may lag a bit due to the increased water volume with the same daily nutrient input. As you stock the frag tank and it gets “dirty”, I imagine things will balance out to be more or less the same as they were before. In the meantime you might just keep an eye on them to ensure they don’t bottom out, but probably unlikely in an established system.

Alk, Calcium, magnesium and everything else supplied in the salt mix will not change (unless your tank is depleted in any trace elements, it may serve to boost those).

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, PO4 and NO3. Kinda what I thought.
I figured that Alk, Ca will need to be increased due to the additional corals in the frag tank. I don’t dose Mg. Thanks.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends on how much bigger your DT is than the low boy and that salt mixes close to your running levels. Same with nutrients.

When I added a 50g low boy, to 200g DT, nutrients dropped a bit just like a water change.

OP
OP
JGT

JGT

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very similar. 250g DT and 80 gal frag. Slight droppage of nutrients is a good thing. Thanks.

Back