Frag tank thoughts

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ive been wanting to set up a frag tank for quite awhile now. Having done some research, it really looks like the zoo med lowboy tanks are going to be my best bet.

I am trying to keep this as low cost as possible, and the cheaper I can keep it, the more frags I can buy

I can pick up a used zoomed 28 gallon from a friend for like 40.00.

I have a noopsyche k7 v3 pro with mounting arm already.

When it comes to filtration, I see three possibilities:

1. Drill it and add a sump. (ive never drilled a tank, and I dont trust myself to do it)

2. Either buy a drop in, or build my own baffles, to convert the tank into an AIO

3. Stick a HOB Power filter on it. Im thinking the likes of a Seachem Tidal Power Filter 55 or Aquatop Forza PFE-4 Power Filter

I have used HOB filters on freshwater tanks for years, but never in saltwater. Will those units work well enough? I only plan to have a shallow sand bed, a rock or two, and a small fish if necessary. So the bio load will be very small. I can supplement the flow with a powerhead.

Any one have thoughts on using one of those filters?

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
drilling is super easy, check out my tank thread if you want some ideas on DIY frag system. One consideration for you is the lights - if you use lower quality lights on your frag system than your display, I'd argue you'd be better off just growing your frags in your display on a rack.

OP
OP
Jmcdaniel0

Jmcdaniel0

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
all good...
I would just drop in a hob filter (aquaclear...super quiet) and call it a day....and the lights?
I have the noopsyche light, its pretty powerful, and should be plenty for the corals i tend to keep. I would need to place any sps more centrally to ensure they get enough light.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think drilling and sump would be beneficial long term for stability and flexibility.

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Zoo-Med Frag tank worked well for me.
Drilled easily. It’s on a sump.
IMG_0125.jpeg

Back