Glass Lid, No Lid or Other ?

427HISS

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Some stores have not lids to help aid in gas exchange (sure you'll say others) and then one local stores has a lot,....of tanks, and when I asked how you get away with having lids on every tanks because of trapped gas's etc, he said "look around, all of my fish and corals look great",...and they all do ! So although they have to clean the lids a lot, it cuts way down on evaporation and trapped humidity walls with fungi ! yuck....

So, as I get all of my tanks up and running, I need to cut down on the humidity as the effects years ago got bad. But, I don't want to cleans the glass twice per day because on water spots, salt creep and reduced lighting. Open sumps can bring the same issues. What other problems can we have and how to solve them ?

Daz_1978

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My guess is…
They have those tanks plumbed to a common sump like area in back, which is open.
If they have a large skimmer, there’s added contact with air.
Plus… they probably open those lids 50 times per day, and the front store door swings open 100 times per day letting in nice fresh air.

In a more closed environment, such as a home… the CO2 levels probably rise, more often. That means our water needs more agitation and contact with air.

I could see PH problems if the water didn’t get enough contact with fresh air.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU USE A PAR METER WHEN PLACING NEW CORAL IN YOUR TANK?

• Yes! I think it's important for the longterm health/growth of my coral.

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Yes, but I don't find that it is necessary all the time.

Votes: 17 21.8%
  • Not currently, but I would like to.

Votes: 33 42.3%
  • No. I don't measure PAR and my corals are still healthy/growing.

Votes: 18 23.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 4 5.1%
Back