Gorilla Glue not Aquarium Safe? Skimmer going nuts and SPS Dieing

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cannot say this was directly related, but ever since I glued a few rocks together in my tank, a few of my SPS have tissue loss and my skimmer won't stop overflowing. Its been 4 weeks now and as soon as I turn the skimmer on, it immediately overflows.

What can I try to get the skimmer functioning properly?

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of Gorilla Glue did you use? The only reef safe glue is 100% cyanoacrylate super glue or super glue gel.

If it was anything but this type of clear glue from them, then it could be the culprit.

To get the skimmer running normally, run carbon. A water change wouldn't hurt, ether. If you can dial your skimmer way way back, like 90% back, then you may be able to skim out a portion of whatever chemical is causing the issue.

Last edited:

TJ's Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 to what Logzor said ^above^ and I have used the Gorilla Glue cyanoacrylate for several years without any issues.

Cheers, Todd

OP
OP
P

ps2cho

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used regular gorilla glue...I've read people have used it, but maybe it wasn't the best choice in hindsight. I'll try to remove those pieces. I will definitely run some carbon thanks for the idea.

Damon

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Loctite is actually fir me better than gorilla glue. The only thing honestly that I really prefer to either and was crazy, but easy to do was hobby CA.

When I was flying rc, you have tons of that stuff around. What worked the best and made it like 3 seconds to do was Bob Smith gap filling CA (2 to 3 drops), then hit it with the medium kicker, and simply stick the frag in. Never had one come apart, never bugged my skimmer, and never ever bugged the coral at all..

It really was great!

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used regular gorilla glue...I've read people have used it, but maybe it wasn't the best choice in hindsight. I'll try to remove those pieces. I will definitely run some carbon thanks for the idea.

Definitely remove and toss anything that had direct contact with the glue, heavy carbon and water changes should help. Sorry to hear you had losses! I'm afraid the glue was the most likely cause :(

JohnBor

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as I know gorilla glue is safe for aquariums but it must be used on a slightly damp and clean (no dust) surface with some weigh on it or a clamp 1–2 hours.The serfs mush stay dry for about 5 days just to be shear before adding to water (it Full Cure: in 24 Hour but it takes longer for it to stop releasing toxins) (us only as much as you need a little go a long way) before adding to the aquarium if possible it should be rinse off. Carbon should be used for about a week. This is a relay strong glue So it is good for dry rock landscape or fixing a part if you are willing to wait the time. It is not good for gluing frags or using direly in to the aquarium.it is toxic during drying time. (But so it silicon it releases ammonia during drying time but it is not as strong). So would I us gorilla glue well if I was setting up a new aquarium using dry rock and had the time to what yes I wood because it is so strong and will keep my rocks in place

MSR

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use GG Gel (make sure it's Gel) and I have had 0 problems.

AllSignsPointToFish

"No Longer The Guy Without FaceBook"
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe Gorilla glue is the unexpanded form of polyurethane foam insulation and without the curing accelerant. I would not put that in my tank unless I had to. Is there a reason why cyanoacrylate or epoxy putty won't work for you?

HOW ARE YOU FIGHTING NUISANCE ALGAE RIGHT NOW?

• Clean-Up Crew

Votes: 81 79.4%
  • Algae-Eating Fish

Votes: 43 42.2%
  • Light Adjustments

Votes: 16 15.7%
  • Nutrient Adjustments

Votes: 42 41.2%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 17 16.7%
Back