Green Hair Algae

reefingJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tanks been running for over 3 years now and I’ve been battling hair algae for about a year now. It grows in the cracks and crevices of my rock so scrubbing it is nearly impossible. I’ve heard that many inverts and tangs won’t eat it unless it’s super short so nothing in my tank is really picking at it. I added a refugium a couple of months ago and it got my no3 and po4 down to nearly 0, but the hair algae is still managing to grow. I’ve now reduced the photoperiod on my fuge because I no reading 0 nutrients levels isn’t good for the corals either. I have no idea how to get rid of this hair algae, will pincushion urchins eat the algae when it’s long? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

OP
OP
R

reefingJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Test your RO water for Iron, especially if coming from municipal well or yard well.
I just sent an ICP test out. My RODI system reads 0 tds but I will see what my water looks like when I get results back

jepuskar

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just sent an ICP test out. My RODI system reads 0 tds but I will see what my water looks like when I get results back
I'm going through the same thing...green hair algae, found my pre-RODI filter for the incoming water to be exhausted with that reddish nasty look. Probably did a few water changes that were high in iron. My Nitrate/Phosphates are low too. Did a 50% or so water change on fresh filter and tested RO water with 0.00ppm Iron.

Literally having another filter installed right now pre water softener, 20" out in my garage. solely for Iron removal.

FishOfHex

Reefer & 3D Printer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get an ICP test for both the RO and main display. Most of the time people who have gha issues is bc either bad water or overfeeding sometimes both. Once you confirm the water is good I would do 3 to 4 30% water changes one every other day and during them manually remove as much algae as possible. Make sure the refugium is going while the tank main lights are off to encourage as much macro algae growth as possible to help uptake nutrients and out-compete the main display. At the end of the day you need to find the source of nutrients, this can be dirty water, overfeeding, too many fish, not enough rock, or not a good enough skimmer. Find the problem and stay consistent with your maintenance and the system will bounce back. best of luck

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 30 76.9%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 15.4%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 7.7%
Back