Hammers & GSP coral

Philliesphan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I recently bought these corals from a kid local to me. A rock with Green Star Polyp. And 2 frags of hammer corals. I've never had corals before so I'm BRAND NEW. I just set a 10 gal up and put them in there. Do they require anything special? Foods, parameters, placement, etc? I attached pics below. How do I help them thrive? And do they need the reef crystal water? Thank you all. You're all great!

20240805_182757.jpg 20240805_182803.jpg 20240805_182846.jpg

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long has the tank been set up, and what are your parameters. hammers like medium light and low-medium flow, as for gsp they like dirtier water but will thrive in pretty much anything and will encrust pretty much everything it can touch so just place it in a spot that you want it to cover like an isolated rock

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They need stable saltwater chemistry @35ppt.
The hammers need Alk, CA and MG for skeleton growth and nutrients for flesh/polyp growth.
While you have just a few Stoney corals, regular weekly water changes will keep the chemistry in line.

But as you add stoney corals, they will demand more which you can dose directly.

Food is mostly light, maybe 100-150par full spectrum light.

If you want to feed, (not required) Reef Roids are great but watch your phosphate.

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how long has the tank been set up, and what are your parameters. hammers like medium light and low-medium flow, as for gsp they like dirtier water but will thrive in pretty much anything and will encrust pretty much everything it can touch so just place it in a spot that you want it to cover like an isolated rock
Tank has been set up for 50 days. PH is 7.8 to 8.0. Ammonia is 0. Nitrite is 0. Nitrate is about 10.

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The hammers need Alk, CA and MG for skeleton growth and nutrients for flesh/polyp growth.
While you have just a few Stoney corals, regular weekly water changes will keep the chemistry in line.

But as you add stoney corals, they will demand more which you can dose directly.

If you want to feed, (not required) Reef Roids are great but watch your phosphate.
Water is at 35. I recently got reef crystals and the LFS said I could add them in with my next water mix/change. Do I have them placed in a decent spot?

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a calcium, KH, and magnesium test.

Hammers prefer high magnesium and need calcium for their skeleton

Fluctuating KH is stressful on everything

NonstopSoda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks good, make sure to test for alk, cal, mag like @Uncle99 said and you should have some happy hammers! also be careful putting other types of coral close to it cause they do have long sweeper tentacles

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Water is at 35. I recently got reef crystals and the LFS said I could add them in with my next water mix/change. Do I have them placed in a decent spot?
They are fine.
Let them settle.

If you mix to 35ppt, the salt will take care of the ratios.

Make sure you top off frequently.

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are fine.
Let them settle.

If you mix to 35ppt, the salt will take care of the ratios.

Make sure you top off frequently.
Awesome okay. Wasnt sure if they needed to be put on the live rock or if they can hang in the sand.

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

One other question for you. Is there anything I should add for the corals? Like alk, ca, and mag? Or should I wait until my next water change and mix up some reef salt? Currently they're in plain instant ocean saltwater.

OP
OP
P

Philliesphan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fluctuating

Fluctuating KH is stressful on everything
One other question for you. Is there anything I should add for the corals? Like alk, ca, and mag? Or should I wait until my next water change and mix up some reef salt? Currently they're in plain instant ocean saltwater.

moretor1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you need calc and alk you can dose kalkwasser, but it will raise alk a lot faster than calc
I use fritz elements for magnesium

Test for all of them and I would try to get calcium to at least 400ppm and mag to 1300ppm

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 39 53.4%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 5 6.8%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 29 39.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back