HDPE interior bottoms with Silicon sealant - any issues with detritus getting wedged in

danreef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I would greatly appreciate anyone sharing their experience with starboard bottoms.
There is a concern that the silicon could lift in spots allowing detritus to get under the board.
I am not concerned about siphoning those areas but I am concerned that it could travel further under the board making siphoning ineffective. This could cause an increase in nitrate. Also wonder if this could create an anerobic zone?

thanks all
Dan

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Be aware that "Starboard" will expand (or contract) 1/32 of an inch per foot over a 40 degree temperature change. You don't want a tight fit, even if you do fabricate at or near the operating temperature of the aquarium.

I am not sure that I would seal it in place at all, but rather just set it in with a 1/2 or so gap round the perimeter. What is your reason for using it, protection of a bare bottom or aesthetics?

OP
OP
danreef55

danreef55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bean Animal. Appreciate the words of caution. I will be running a bare bottom. I am not that worried about glass protection as the four aquascape structure have bases secured to foundation rocks which are perfectly level. The other consideration is aesthetics. Eventually it will all be covered in coralline anyway so why would I do it:(

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks Bean Animal. Appreciate the words of caution. I will be running a bare bottom. I am not that worried about glass protection as the four aquascape structure have bases secured to foundation rocks which are perfectly level. The other consideration is aesthetics. Eventually it will all be covered in coralline anyway so why would I do it:(
I think protection is not a bad idea at all for bare bottom. Setting it in place, or using a few dabs of silicone should suffice. Even if it does have low or no flow under, I don't think it will be a problem

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eventually it will all be covered in coralline anyway so why would I do it:(
This was my thought when I switched to barebottom. Running three tanks bare bottom now. While the starboard does provide protection I'm not sure how necessary it is. I've dropped some pretty big rocks with no damage to the glass

Back