Heater Help! Tank down to 74.2 Degrees.

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have this heater in my 40 gallon which I moved to my new sump

My temperature has been a consistent 77 degrees until i moved my heater to my sump. Now its going down to 74.2. I moved the heater back into the tank and its going up.

I have a 40 Gallon display and close to 30 in my sump. So what size heater do I need to keep my display tank at a steady 77-78?

Thanks.

WIReefer

608 MOD SQUAD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A lot of people including myself run two heaters Incase of failure. I would add another one similar in size it will be much more reliable in the end and will keep tank at correct temp easier.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had it in the refugium section but not in the skimmer section. Since my return pump is in the middle only one side is being heated. Should I put one in each side? Or on in my sump and one in my display tank? What is the best scenario? Thanks

pochaxoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, what is the turnover rate in the sump? You say the temp is 74.2 but what is the temp in the sump now that the heater is there? It also may just be flow changing the mechanics of your built in temp sensor in the heate and may just need to turn it up. Good luck.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmm, what is the turnover rate in the sump? You say the temp is 74.2 but what is the temp in the sump now that the heater is there? It also may just be flow changing the mechanics of your built in temp sensor in the heate and may just need to turn it up. Good luck.
Not really sure how to determine my flow. I use the Current USA Dc Pump 1,050. The lowest setting is 210 GPH which is what it's on. Have 1 inch overflow and 3/4 return.

OP
OP
Faccia di Pesce

Faccia di Pesce

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I bought two Eheim Jager 100 watt heaters. one in the fuge side and one in the skimmer side. Will see what the temp looks like tomorrow.

DarkSky

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You might not be moving enough water into your tank from the sump to keep the temps up.

Either increase your flow or set the temp on the heaters up 3-4 degrees and see if that helps.

Auquanut

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may consider using a controller. I use an InkBird controller with the temp probe in the overflow section of the sump and the heaters in the return section. The theory is that the probe is reading as close as possible to actual tank temp, and if there's any temp loss through the sump, the heaters will work to maintain that temp. It seems to work pretty well. When I occasionally put an external thermometer in the display, It looks like the temp stays within about 1 degree +/-.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 17 18.9%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 21 23.3%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 24 26.7%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 15 16.7%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 3.3%
Back