Help me build the Ideal zoa tank

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im wanting to set up an ideal zoa only tank... I’ve been out of the hobby for a while and wondering what’s the latest and greatest in zoa keeping. It was vodka dosing and vitamin d dosing. I haven’t heard much about that as of late. Here is what I am starting with:
Innovative Marine 25g lagoon
Kessil A360 tuna blue
kessil controller
Mp10qd
Ato (coming soon)

I don’t plan on using a skimmer
To do or not to do on the following
Carbon reactor?
GFO reactor?
Refugium?
Dosing pump(s)

My questions I guess is what should I do or not do to have the ideal zoa tank.

Thanks in advance

Last edited:

A Toadstool Leather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont think a dosing pump would be a good investment for a zoa dominated tank. They dont consume calcium or alkalinity that quickly compared to stony corals. Just remember to always inspect and even dip each frag because zoas are prone to a plethora of pests. Some spiders or nudis could wipe out a zoa tank really fast.

Ice

Zoa addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well with zoas being so easy the setup you have now will work fine. With media it really depends on your bio load and how heavy you stock the tank and how well you keep on on the water changes. Everyone does things different, some people only run filter floss and others run skimmers and so on to help out clean up the tank after target feeding. Personally I run floss and half the amount of chemi pure blue as I feel carbon and GFO just makes them mad. Dosing pumps I would not bother with. Maybe a refugium depending on its Size, I think the smallers ones hardly help. As far as dosing I never have done any of that, some people said it helped a lot and others hated it. With these guys I feel like keeping up with the water changes to replace the small amount of trace elements zoas consume and consistent parameters are the perfect way to keeping them. All in all you have a nice tank, nice light and powerhead. Equipment to think about would be a cobalt heater, maybe upgrade the return pumps? I think a lot of people are trying the RFG nozzle on that tank and you have a ATO on the way so you'e pretty much yet up from what I can see.

TonapahNorth

Reefed In
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May I ask an additional question?
Are there any particular livestock (fish, etc) that do well in a zoa dominated tank? naturally you would need to stay away from certain things that eat them, but what else would one look to as a beneficial livestock addition?

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For zoas. Just give them Reefroids and watch them explode. How clean you want to keep your tank is up to you. Personally I would rather run a clean tank with a skimmer and low on phosphates with a refugium. So you do not have to battle with any nuisance algae, because that can irritate them and the Reefroids would fuel the fire for algae. So with this method you would have a balance that you are in control of.
Or.. Find a good balance of a clean up crew.
I understand that having a skimmer and refugium seems a little to much for 25g, but it will save you a lot of headaches. I had a 20g with a Reef Octopus BH 1000 HOB. That skimmer is now on my 65g still doing work everyday. I also have a Seaclone protein skimmer converted into a refugium and it dropped my PO3 to undetectable.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your current list is good enough. What live stock you have? and what is the frequency of WC? Zoas wont need much of dosing or any reactors. Just run chemipure blue or something similar in mediacab in case you encounter something bad in water chemistry. I would also recommend getting a six line wrasse to keep a check on pests, zoas are prone to get pest crabs & nudis. reef roids, oyester feast all will work amazing with zoa

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For got to mentions, dont go for high flow. Relatively higher light is still ok, as long as you acclimate. Some zoas are picky about light. All of them have different growth rate, like radioactive or green lantern will grow much faster than bam bam or la lakers or rasta. bam bam or la laker will grow much faster than cherry apple or some other slow growers

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For got to mentions, dont go for high flow. Relatively higher light is still ok, as long as you acclimate. Some zoas are picky about light. All of them have different growth rate, like radioactive or green lantern will grow much faster than bam bam or la lakers or rasta. bam bam or la laker will grow much faster than cherry apple or some other slow growers
I can attest to that. Started off with 7 Radio active dragon eyes. Now I have 80. Rastas 4 now 60. I do have one zoa that started off with 2 that needs low light and is slow grower, but they were on a stall for awhile. Now that I have been putting Reefroids in everyday, 3 grew out this month. Flow is also key. My Fruit loops love an above average flow. Otherwise they start to fade. I never glue them down, because every month it seems like they need to be moved.

Ranjib

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One of my pico reef, this was relatively well thought out, segregating the fast growers
804BC059-E5F2-4610-82F2-EB0AC4CB3564.jpeg

OP
OP
CorbetJackson50

CorbetJackson50

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

I plan on dong weekly water changes of about 5 gallons. I have always liked Red Sea coral pro but am open to other options.

Keep your opinions and ideas coming.

danschoenherr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with dosing pump won't be needed....10% water change every other week and run a small fuge in my sump. I only run a small bag of good carbon every other month in the sump. I actually bought a bucket of Red Sea Coral Pro, but decided against it because of high ALK level. I have been running Kent with great results, so why switch. Also would recommend a Six Line or Yellow Coris Wrasse in case you do introduce a pest and to help keep the bigger pods in check that like to irritate zoas from time to time. (a mesh tank cover is a MUST though with these). I also moved any crabs to the sump and only have snails in the DT.

40B Knasty

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the replies.

I plan on dong weekly water changes of about 5 gallons. I have always liked Red Sea coral pro but am open to other options.

Keep your opinions and ideas coming.
Red Sea Coral Pro is a great salt. Here is some info on salts that can help you decide. Zoas not being a high consumer of alk & calcium. Your parameter swings will not be to bad at all.

IMG_2331.PNG

Screenshot_2016-12-13-02-35-03.png

Screenshot_2016-12-13-02-27-28.png

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 9 6.1%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 32 21.8%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 36 24.5%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 37 25.2%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 3.4%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 21 14.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 7 4.8%
Back