Help me clear out about 10 million protopalys

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats a good method of removing these pests without nuking my tank with toxin? I've often time just took the rock out and scrapped and cut it till they were nothing, then rinsed it off. However it would be good to have a more effective method. I've heard of lemon juice, boiling water, aptasia x etc, but I would appreciate your guys imput on these methods and others.

Cheers,

Nigel

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have palys, definitely DON'T boil them in water in your house. The toxins can vaporize in the steam and you will be in trouble. Safest thing if you are trying to get rid of them is to remove and discard the rock, if that is possible and a rock is completely covered. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of the toxin persisting on the rock after scraping them off, even if you were to rinse it well. Sanjay Joshi just gave a talk at Aquashella in which is discussed palytoxin killing off his fish in his 500g. If you've already done the scrape and rinse thing with no ill effects, maybe I'm being overly cautious...yes, that sounds like me : )

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrade the system including new rock.
Donate the paly rock and old tank to the orphanage for a sweet tax deduction and to bump up your community standing. Merry Christmas!
New Year Christmas GIF by S4C

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upgrade the system including new rock.
Donate the paly rock and old tank to the orphanage for a sweet tax deduction and to bump up your community standing. Merry Christmas!
New Year Christmas GIF by S4C
I wish my friend. Unfortunately that doesn't fit the budget as of this moment in time, but soon indeed. Merry Christmas.

OP
OP
Nigel35

Nigel35

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have palys, definitely DON'T boil them in water in your house. The toxins can vaporize in the steam and you will be in trouble. Safest thing if you are trying to get rid of them is to remove and discard the rock, if that is possible and a rock is completely covered. Personally, I wouldn't take the risk of the toxin persisting on the rock after scraping them off, even if you were to rinse it well. Sanjay Joshi just gave a talk at Aquashella in which is discussed palytoxin killing off his fish in his 500g. If you've already done the scrape and rinse thing with no ill effects, maybe I'm being overly cautious...yes, that sounds like me : )
I meant getting a syringe of boiling water, slowly dripping it into the bell of the paly, then siphoning it out. It isn't just one rock its the entire tank that has been overrun. I would personally love to upgrade but not right now. Thanks for the reply.

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whats a good method of removing these pests without nuking my tank with toxin? I've often time just took the rock out and scrapped and cut it till they were nothing, then rinsed it off. However it would be good to have a more effective method. I've heard of lemon juice, boiling water, aptasia x etc, but I would appreciate your guys imput on these methods and others.

Cheers,

Nigel
Do not EVER BOIL PALYS!!!

That's a quick fast trip to the hospital right there.

ReefEco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got it. I would also be wary of this method, because if the paly releases toxin when "softening" it, it would be hard to make sure you siphon all of that out - some of it may be released into the water column. If the entire tank is over-run, sounds like you are ready for a tank reset! ;)

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You need to cordon off your neighborhood first

where’s my level four ppe meme

thats a poor taste palytoxin joke disregard all that but still regard it

i don’t know how we got through the aughts directly handling these things but somehow we did. It seems a liability risk nowadays to offer surgical removal options

get new rock

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you even know if you have a kind with the toxin? Like for real? Not all of them do. Very few of them do. Everybody thinks that they have the deadly ones and nearly nobody does. The ones that do are serious, so be safe.

Is your tank larger? If so, how about a french angelfish? They eat all kinds of soft things. Larger puffers will too. Fish are no kind of guarantee and cannot get into the cracks and cervices.

Other than this, kalk paste works well, but you have to apply it a few times to get the bases and stuff. There are some photos in my rebuild thread of me killing back some with kalk paste.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've heard of a method using boiling water to soften the paly from the rock then siphoning it out? Sorry for the misunderstanding.
Any boiling will emit gases that will send the household to a hospital. smother with alk paste or place entire rock in a bucket with bleach water and they will be done.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHEN IT COMES TO PROBLEMS IN YOUR TANK, ARE YOU A PROACTIVE OR REACTIVE REEFER?

• I try to be proactive.

Votes: 8 47.1%
  • I am usually reactive.

Votes: 4 23.5%
  • It depends on the issue.

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • Other (please explain!).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back