Help on Nem

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have only had this guy for a couple weeks. Yesterday he started to look like he was turning inside out. White guts. I just pulled him out but he doesn't stink like everyone says a dead one will. Is this something natural or is it dying and just not dead enough yet to stink? Pic attached hopefully.

IMG_0571.JPG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you give us some more info. Tank age, parameters, lighting ect... He doesn't look happy at all, it's likely a good thing you pulled him out.

OP
OP
Fizbang

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank has been up about a year. Params: 0 Am, 0 Nitrite, 0 Phos (although with API), 10-20 Nitrate, 1.026 Sal, 8-9 DKH, 440 Cal, 7.8 PH,
I haven't test Mag in about 2 weeks but it was around 1300ish last time.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm sorry to read and see of this.

It does not look well.

I agree about removing it from your DT. Perhaps you could try in a smaller container such as a 5g bucket whatever separate with some Lighting, flow, heat, some fresh made RODI saltwater with salinity near what your DT is and hope for some positive results. (maybe a QT tank if you have one on hand that has no trace of copper)

I wish you and it well. And please keep us updated.

davocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks pretty bad from pic.
Maybe in water it might look more hopeful, but agree, keep it from fouling your tank, QT if you can

cancun

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry for you and your nem! I agree it doesn't look great.....your parameters are good, I would definitely try a last ditch effort to save him. Try a 5 gallon bucket with fresh saltwater or QT tank if you have one set up. Also hopefully someone else can chime in, but there might be something you can add to the water that might help the nem, but I can't remember the name.

OP
OP
Fizbang

Fizbang

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I put it in a small 3.5 gallon set up to QT it. It sadly didn't make it. I appreciate the comments, this is really the first loss I have had other than some snails getting eaten by shrimp. In retrospect I think it wasn't healthy from the LFS, I kind of took a chance there.

Captain Quint

Plank Owner of the Orca
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, I put it in a small 3.5 gallon set up to QT it. It sadly didn't make it. I appreciate the comments, this is really the first loss I have had other than some snails getting eaten by shrimp. In retrospect I think it wasn't healthy from the LFS, I kind of took a chance there.

I'm truly sorry.

Back