HELP! Royal Blue Tang has ich! What do I do?

Justin Teufel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
E9A26661-D117-4D9A-9316-945FAF5FD29F.jpeg
AADBA7D0-31BB-4F4A-9B37-6A957F14C2D7.jpeg
F353E3CF-FD9C-4508-B2BC-7E5215F5B450.jpeg
Hello fellow reefers. I have a baby royal blue tang that I’m holding and it has some ich on him. I don’t know what to do. I heard some treatments with cupramine. Others have said to leave it and let the fish get a better immune system by feeding various foods and dosing stress coat. Please help!

Thanks, reply ASAP

Here are some pics. I know they aren’t good pics, but those are the best ones I could get.

97AEC1E4-86F3-42E0-8ED3-F08CA34EB845.jpeg

ChiSox Rabbitfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dang blue tangs to sensitive I had mine came down with ich months ago pretty bad without a QT tank I did a FW dip fed garlic pellets and added a cleaner shrimp he’s been fine since I might of just gotten lucky by letting nature do what it does

Jberge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is just me but I would qt and treat all of the fish with copper and let the dt go fallow for 76 days. There’s not really any other option besides gambling that the tang will beat the ich but it will always be in the system and always an issue. I had the same thing happen 2 years ago and bit the bullet, qt and went fallow

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Not abnormal for these guys to have ich. Start with freshwater dip and use PraziPro as a start and see how well it recovers as they do bounce back quickly

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
OP
OP
Justin Teufel

Justin Teufel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not abnormal for these guys to have ich. Start with freshwater dip and use PraziPro as a start and see how well it recovers as they do bounce back quickly

ok, when I use prazipro, is it safe to put it in the display tank, or the quarantine? I have started a quarantine tank and have added the blue tang in it. I have been dosing cupramine solution daily every 2 days in between with some water changes as well. I am quarantining for a total of 6 weeks. Any other advice?

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
ok, when I use prazipro, is it safe to put it in the display tank, or the quarantine? I have started a quarantine tank and have added the blue tang in it. I have been dosing cupramine solution daily every 2 days in between with some water changes as well. I am quarantining for a total of 6 weeks. Any other advice?

It is ok to use Prazipro in display tank as it is deemed reef safe . . . . . . . . . . HOWEVER, do consider the advice of removing all fish for several weeks to assure protozoan has died off. PraziPro in QT tank also acceptable. remove any carbon while treating as carbon will remove agents in the medication

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish looks pretty healthy to me from the pics. IMO I would not go crazy with removing fish or going fallow. Feed the fish a proper diet of varied foods and give it some time. Almost all of the blue tangs I've seen eventually get it but even the ones we've kept got better with a great diet fed often and ich never returned or spread. I'm not seeing a massive covering on your fish.

OP
OP
Justin Teufel

Justin Teufel

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The fish looks pretty healthy to me from the pics. IMO I would not go crazy with removing fish or going fallow. Feed the fish a proper diet of varied foods and give it some time. Almost all of the blue tangs I've seen eventually get it but even the ones we've kept got better with a great diet fed often and ich never returned or spread. I'm not seeing a massive covering on your fish.

Yes, my blue tang doesn't have that much ich, but I wanted to make sure that I can completely get rid of it while the parasite was small and weak enough regarding the amount of ich. I will definitely add a varied diet of foods.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, my blue tang doesn't have that much ich, but I wanted to make sure that I can completely get rid of it while the parasite was small and weak enough regarding the amount of ich. I will definitely add a varied diet of foods.
Foods I'd recommend are reef nutrition, LRS frozen, chroma boost pellets and some nori sheets.

Frtdrmrose7

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, no! What happened? You’ve been QT’ing everything I thought.

I do, I meant I believe in QT and if infected go fallow for 76 days to eradicate. My tank is clean (crossing fingers) lol
I don’t believe in managing parasites

JasonK84

I want more!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do, I meant I believe in QT and if infected go fallow for 76 days to eradicate. My tank is clean (crossing fingers) lol
I don’t believe in managing parasites
Gotcha! Glad to hear. I was expecting to hear you say you got bit by cross contamination or some super bug. Glad all is good in your tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back