Help with choosing LEDs

sjfishguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for opinions for a specific situation. I have been keeping SPS for over 20 years. Started with MH, then T5s, then tried LEDs and they were crap 10 years ago, went back to T5s. Currently have 120g mixed reef with a lot of acros out growing the tank. Also a 10 year old, 18” blue derasa clam that is also outgrowing the tank. Planning on a 265g custom in wall build, 60”long X 34” high X 34” deep, there is a small room behind the tank. I currently have a 48” 8x54w ATI powermodule that is a beast, but also produces a lot of heat that I think will be too hot when I move it to the room. So I want to convert to LEDs now on the 120 (48x24x24) to give everything time to adjust and then move over to the new tank. But I want use the same LEDs or add to it when I move to the 265g. I do not want to supplement with bars, strips, or T5s that defeats the point to me. Another factor is a run a very balanced whiteish tank. Like 14k look or even 12k. I dislike the actinic/purplish look/hue. I do not want radions, don’t want to deal with the garbage app with all the problems and pay a premium for it. I tried reefi uno 2.1 pros but all the power of the fixture is the RB and violets, which I don’t like the look. So I can’t get the par I need from them because they don’t hasv enough whites.

I have been looking a 48” reefbreeder because it has a lot of whites but is that enough when I go to a 60” tank? Or get two 24” now, mounted perpendicular, then add another perpendicular when I get the 60” tank (which is also 34” wide). Other fixture options? No chinese black boxes. I need a fixture with a lot of white. Unique situation, thanks for the opinions

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking for opinions for a specific situation. I have been keeping SPS for over 20 years. Started with MH, then T5s, then tried LEDs and they were crap 10 years ago, went back to T5s. Currently have 120g mixed reef with a lot of acros out growing the tank. Also a 10 year old, 18” blue derasa clam that is also outgrowing the tank. Planning on a 265g custom in wall build, 60”long X 34” high X 34” deep, there is a small room behind the tank. I currently have a 48” 8x54w ATI powermodule that is a beast, but also produces a lot of heat that I think will be too hot when I move it to the room. So I want to convert to LEDs now on the 120 (48x24x24) to give everything time to adjust and then move over to the new tank. But I want use the same LEDs or add to it when I move to the 265g. I do not want to supplement with bars, strips, or T5s that defeats the point to me. Another factor is a run a very balanced whiteish tank. Like 14k look or even 12k. I dislike the actinic/purplish look/hue. I do not want radions, don’t want to deal with the garbage app with all the problems and pay a premium for it. I tried reefi uno 2.1 pros but all the power of the fixture is the RB and violets, which I don’t like the look. So I can’t get the par I need from them because they don’t hasv enough whites.

I have been looking a 48” reefbreeder because it has a lot of whites but is that enough when I go to a 60” tank? Or get two 24” now, mounted perpendicular, then add another perpendicular when I get the 60” tank (which is also 34” wide). Other fixture options? No chinese black boxes. I need a fixture with a lot of white. Unique situation, thanks for the opinions
The 48” is not enough for a 60” tank. I highly recommend the Smatfarm black box LEDS from Amazon. They are great and you can add multiple units to be slaves so you will never really be limited on how many lights you want. You can adjust the full spectrum and it has plenty of warm and cool white to mix in. I run mine with more white than most as well.

If not that brand, they have some other similar options that I think would work well in your situation.

Time to move away from strip lights.

SudzFD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

IMG_4481.png

WvAquatics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reefbreeders is a great light. I wouldn't buy a 48" if you are planing to upgrade later. Unless the $ isn't an issue. Look into the Quanta Atlas. 3x3 coverage per light for 500$ with a 10k mh white look. Might not fully cover the 120 but you will grow corals in the whole tank and upgrading you just buy another tank.

rtparty

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
What’s your budget?

ATI Straton Pros are an incredible light that penetrate the 34” and have plenty of wiggle room for color adjustments. But they aren’t cheap. You’d only need 2-3 of them.

The Reefbreeders lights are well liked in the hobby. They have a disco effect to my eye so I could never stand to run them.

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the Helius program on my Orphek Natura looks very similar to 14K. I used to run 14k ushio bulbs on my old Hamilton fixture and to me it looks very similar. nice crisp light!

here's a pic on day 7 of the Naturas' acclimation program which is "helius". This was at 40% all channels on my 75 (14" from the surface of the water)
20241001_194152.jpg

Last edited:

xCROv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of the lights that Reefi offers. They out perform most of these 1k+ lights and are half the price. I think the guy that makes them posts here and Humblefish also.

TX_REEF

Kessil Fanboy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a huge fan of the lights that Reefi offers. They out perform most of these 1k+ lights and are half the price. I think the guy that makes them posts here and Humblefish also.
I think reefi is great too, but OP said he doesn't like the blue/purple heavy light that is visible when the power is turned up

Dburr1014

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If* you go with the Reefbreeders do not get the 48". The ends are dark. I put them on my 60" so I do know for fact.

You are getting a wide tank. I see your point not mixing. IMO, you would probably like (4) 24" fixtures. It would blanket the tank. 1 fixture centered in each quadrant.

Or 3 fixtures down the middle turned 90° with t5's flanked.

xCROv

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think reefi is great too, but OP said he doesn't like the blue/purple heavy light that is visible when the power is turned up
Totally missed that. Yeah, I could see that being an issue if you're wanting something more balanced on the heavy white side to be honest.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a photon 48 on a 48” tank and it’s perfect for it. It won’t cover a 60

You would need to get the 24’s mounted perpendicular. And the photons are excellent lights

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I didn’t do much fine tuning basically just bumped white up over my current settings but you can go as white as you want, and there’s plenty of blues and violets for evening / night viewing to give plenty of color pop

A06F8BB0-0920-4C17-9932-A6750A9D7414.jpeg
B553E6ED-7321-4F1C-95C1-C27C42F10CB5.jpeg
29D7B78A-D917-4157-A5D4-3787B807AABB.jpeg

9DA6FA02-2A76-4399-9414-5CB5F0993691.jpeg

dkline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Have you looked at Dalua Illumagic x4? The pucks in the light are interchangeable so you can configure the light output you wants or replace if anything fails, they tout low heat production as well. The guys from World Wide aquarium have started using them as well.

OP
OP
S

sjfishguy

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much for all the feedback. I think I want to stick with a more tried and true brand, rather than newer brands, I appreciate it though. Good to know a 48” RB won’t work for 60”. Do you guys think the disco ball effect of the RB is any worse than any others? Also, what about orphek atlantik? Anyone have thoughts on those? I just don’t like that big ugly antennae sticking out of those. And the ATI fixture I think is just too expensive. Thanks so much for all the opinions

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IF YOU HAD A CAREER IN REEF-KEEPING, WHAT WOULD YOU BE DOING? AND WHY?

• Selling and distributing livestock!

Votes: 50 33.6%
  • Selling and distributing equipment!

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Breeding and Aquaculture!

Votes: 70 47.0%
  • Livestock Disease and Treatment!

Votes: 6 4.0%
  • Chemistry!

Votes: 15 10.1%
  • Designing and Maintenance of tanks!

Votes: 31 20.8%
  • Research and Education!

Votes: 35 23.5%
  • Reefing Equipment and Dry Goods Creation and Manufacturing!

Votes: 18 12.1%
  • Conservation!

Votes: 38 25.5%
  • Other (please explain)!

Votes: 5 3.4%
Back