Help with my euphyllia

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Hope you can help.
I have a Biocube 32 g for 2 yr 8 months now. I recently went away and when I returned my hammer was closing up and the flesh seems to be recessing (I think). The hammer does not look happy at all.

A little background. Before i left on vacation the tank for the most part seemed stable and doing well. I did have a torch that I had for a long time which seemed to be deteriorating but my hammer along with my Duncan seemed amazing. I have had them both for well over a year. Maybe closer to 2 years. My parameters a week before leaving were:

8/1/2024:
Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 19.3
Phos 0.11
Alk 8.3
Ca 400

I left on 8/9 for a week. I did (for the first time use an auto feeder). I had it feeding twice a day which I normally feed once a day. I put it for twice a day because I was worried that the fish may not get the food before going to the overflow as I could not put the pumps on feed mode.

When I returned my hammer was closed up and the tentacles receded and have not returned to their normal length yet. My parameters were off.

On 8/17:
Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 28.5
Phos 0.54
Alk 8.4
Ca 420

I did serial 15% water changes.

On 8/29:

Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 16.8
Phos 0.25

I will post pictures of what the hammer looked like prior to going on vacation and now. I do have a vermatid snail infestation but it had not irritated the hammer before. I did find many more snail tubes in the tank and some on the hammer which I have removed. I do not see signs of brown jelly disease but I do consider myself a beginner even now. I didn’t run some carbon for a few days. Incidentally I can home tonight and found aome white fuzzy/string stuff on my lepto which I haven’t seen before.
My hammer did close last year for awhile which I may have been due to fast a light change or possibly irritated by a cleaner shrimp I had which always hung around it. Once I put the light duration (original Biocube hood light) back to what I had it at and removed the shrimp the hammer returned. It did take a few months.

Sorry for the long explanation. Just wanted to give you what I knew.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_1775.jpeg IMG_1774.jpeg IMG_1777.jpeg IMG_1776.jpeg IMG_2778.jpeg IMG_2585.jpeg IMG_2584.jpeg IMG_2779.jpeg IMG_2780.jpeg IMG_2781.jpeg

Reef Wizard

Octopus Enthusiast
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm parameters seem okay.

Maybe they were getting alot more food with the auto feeder. My LPS seem to shrivel up when they get more food

Mine always shrink up after a poop

Also I would just monitor LPS can also have just off days.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
OP
OP
C

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm parameters seem okay.

Maybe they were getting alot more food with the auto feeder. My LPS seem to shrivel up when they get more food

Mine always shrink up after a poop

Also I would just monitor LPS can also have just off days.
I’m assuming it was the increase nutrients from the increased feedings. Not sure what else it can be. All other parameters (light, flow) have essentially been the same.

stewy14

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

Hope you can help.
I have a Biocube 32 g for 2 yr 8 months now. I recently went away and when I returned my hammer was closing up and the flesh seems to be recessing (I think). The hammer does not look happy at all.

A little background. Before i left on vacation the tank for the most part seemed stable and doing well. I did have a torch that I had for a long time which seemed to be deteriorating but my hammer along with my Duncan seemed amazing. I have had them both for well over a year. Maybe closer to 2 years. My parameters a week before leaving were:

8/1/2024:
Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 19.3
Phos 0.11
Alk 8.3
Ca 400

I left on 8/9 for a week. I did (for the first time use an auto feeder). I had it feeding twice a day which I normally feed once a day. I put it for twice a day because I was worried that the fish may not get the food before going to the overflow as I could not put the pumps on feed mode.

When I returned my hammer was closed up and the tentacles receded and have not returned to their normal length yet. My parameters were off.

On 8/17:
Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 28.5
Phos 0.54
Alk 8.4
Ca 420

I did serial 15% water changes.

On 8/29:

Salinity 1.026
Nitrate 16.8
Phos 0.25

I will post pictures of what the hammer looked like prior to going on vacation and now. I do have a vermatid snail infestation but it had not irritated the hammer before. I did find many more snail tubes in the tank and some on the hammer which I have removed. I do not see signs of brown jelly disease but I do consider myself a beginner even now. I didn’t run some carbon for a few days. Incidentally I can home tonight and found aome white fuzzy/string stuff on my lepto which I haven’t seen before.
My hammer did close last year for awhile which I may have been due to fast a light change or possibly irritated by a cleaner shrimp I had which always hung around it. Once I put the light duration (original Biocube hood light) back to what I had it at and removed the shrimp the hammer returned. It did take a few months.

Sorry for the long explanation. Just wanted to give you what I knew.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

IMG_1775.jpeg IMG_1774.jpeg IMG_1777.jpeg IMG_1776.jpeg IMG_2778.jpeg IMG_2585.jpeg IMG_2584.jpeg IMG_2779.jpeg IMG_2780.jpeg IMG_2781.jpeg
May not help
But, how much flow are they getting?
And what’s all those little white balls along the stems?

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other than removing any vermatid tubes on the coral and normalizing my feedings and water changes I am just observing.

Any other suggestions?

OP
OP
C

Charlie G

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
May not help
But, how much flow are they getting?
And what’s all those little white balls along the stems?
The balls are small vermatid snail tubes. There were some larger ones along the flesh that I removed. They seemed new to me but may have been there a long time as the tentacles were always out and difficult to see close to the flesh. But when I came back from vacation I had a lot more vermatid and longer tubes.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

Sorry to be off topic but how long did that lepto take to grow that size? Very nice colony!

Also I would try and lower phosphates. Do you use chemi pure elite anywhere ? It’s carbon + gfo. If you had some chemical warfare while away, it would help clear the water, and the gfo absorbs phosphates. Has to be chemipure elite. The other versions won’t do both

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 3 60.0%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back