High phosphate flake food

Ghostbuster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been feeding “Xtreme Aquatic Foods” Marine Flake for a few months and noticed that my fish are pooping lightning bugs; just kidding. But it’s like green phosphorus light with my blue lights on. Consequently, my phosphates have been really high as well, from 0.89 ppm down to 0.57 lately.

So, I’m thinking this Xtreme brand flake food is super extreme with phosphate, and dumped out the rest in my flowerbed outside.

Anyone else having issues with Xtreme Aquatic Foods? It’s a red marine flake food

IMG_1127.jpeg

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flake

With a pic of a mandarin on label

Anyway, any food with large amounts of animal, is going to be high in phosphates. It makes up a sizable portion of cell membranes of animals

First 4 ingredients are from animals

Then wheat germ, which has much less phosphate(cell walls). But do you know any fish that naturally eat grass?

I wouldn’t suppose there's much difference in phosphate between krill meal, fish meal or even long pig meal

Carry on

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have dumped the flakes in a 5 gallon bucket with fresh water and measured the P after an hour.

What are you going to do when your flowers want more flakes?

slythy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use the krill flakes. I also have decently high phosphates lol. I use flake in 1 feeder and pellets in another. I think all food is going to be high in phosphates. Just feed less?

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
. I think all food is going to be high in phosphates
Maybe yes
Maybe no

Wheat germ fish and coral foods are going to higher in nitrates(proteins) than phosphates(cell walls not membranes)

But like I said, how many fish you know of that eat grass normally

Phosphates are easier and cheaper to pull out of the water than nitrates anyway. I am not endorsing wheat germ

OP
OP
Ghostbuster

Ghostbuster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have dumped the flakes in a 5 gallon bucket with fresh water and measured the P after an hour.

What are you going to do when your flowers want more flakes?

Haha, the flowers will be very sad.

I’ve been measuring PO4 very frequently over the last month and a half; will continue until it gets to about 0.10ppm. Yeah, I didn’t think of measuring it the way you mentioned though, but I’ve never seen my fish poop out radioactive looking pellets before using this food, haha

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 55 56.1%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 37 37.8%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back