How do I rid my tank of disease

TamrynLea

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I have just lost my two new clownfish to disease (seems like they were already diseased when I bought them, though not visibly at the time). They were the only fish in my 10 gallon nano tank and I am now left with a cleaner shrimp, some snails and a small young zoa colony. The tank is 6 months old, properly cycled, no ammonia and stable water conditions.

My question is how to I eradicate the disease from my tank before I get new fish? Should I remove the inverts and coral and treat the tank or should I drain it, rinse everything and start again?

Any advice would be most helpful. Thank you!

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I have just lost my two new clownfish to disease (seems like they were already diseased when I bought them, though not visibly at the time). They were the only fish in my 10 gallon nano tank and I am now left with a cleaner shrimp, some snails and a small young zoa colony. The tank is 6 months old, properly cycled, no ammonia and stable water conditions.

My question is how to I eradicate the disease from my tank before I get new fish? Should I remove the inverts and coral and treat the tank or should I drain it, rinse everything and start again?

No need to start over, simply leave the tank fallow (no fish) for 76 days. This will starve out the disease. You can leave your corals and inverts.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

Turn temperature up to 81 degrees and go no fish for 45 days so the disease starves out.

Temp increase speeds up lifecycle of the parasites so you don’t have to do the 76 days.

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Turn temperature up to 81 degrees and go no fish for 45 days so the disease starves out.

Temp increase speeds up lifecycle of the parasites so you don’t have to do the 76 days.
This is also an option, however some suggest 76 days as a way to ensure maximum assurance.

But 45 days is also acceptable as Tamberav has said. But you need to ensure the water is at 81 degrees for the duration.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hi everyone

The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off. No need to go 76 days which is an old recommendation and the 81 degree while it will speed the cycle slightly applies more to velvet.

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off. No need to go 76 days which is an old recommendation and the 81 degree while it will speed the cycle slightly applies more to velvet.
Really? I’m just curious. Because I still do the 76 days but that was in 2017 when that was the standard I guess. So I stuck with that. Is there a new coral/invert QT thread that I can look at? There’s couple threads but I guess they’re outdated now.

AetherealKnight

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Really? I’m just curious. Because I still do the 76 days but that was in 2017 when that was the standard I guess. So I stuck with that. Is there a new coral/invert QT thread that I can look at? There’s couple threads but I guess they’re outdated now.
Nvm I found it, I still have to do 60 days for myself. I got my cleaner shrimp for $20 which was a great deal but it came from a velvet and ich infested Petco tank.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 76 days came from a paper published ~30 years ago - at cool temperatures, with no bacteria, they found some tomonts survived 76 days. Somebody read that paper and started spreading that date around. However, it does apply to real life.

Here is a thread about that:

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Nvm I found it, I still have to do 60 days for myself. I got my cleaner shrimp for $20 which was a great deal but it came from a velvet and ich infested Petco tank.
45-60 days is the range where the life cycle of parasites are extinguished without a host fish.

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone

I see no mention of how you diagnosed the fish died from a disease.

How do you know the fish were diseased? Did you see signs of ich or velvet or brooklynella? Were the fish 6 months old? What were you feeding them?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 8 6.3%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 24 19.0%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 29 23.0%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 34 27.0%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 5 4.0%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 20 15.9%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 6 4.8%
Back