How much lugols do you add for a dip?

paulrathor92

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using brightwells lugols dip that's in a dropper bottle. How much ml or drops do I need to mix for 1 gallon of water. Using it as a dip not as an additive?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using brightwells lugols dip that's in a dropper bottle. How much ml or drops do I need to mix for 1 gallon of water. Using it as a dip not as an additive?

Is there an instruction on the bottle? I use Revive dip and it takes 1 capful for 1 qt of water.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this in an online search.. Pay attention the the "Dip instructions" at the end...

Good luck!!

Brightwell Aquatics Lugol’s is an extremely powerful iodine solution. It should only be used by advanced reef aquarists to dose iodine as well as to create a dip for corals and their allies. The importance of iodine in a reef aquarium cannot be overstated. Presence of iodine is vital to hermatypic invertebrates (i.e., corals, clams, and their allies that harbor zooxanthellae) because it is used to detoxify excess oxygen produced by zooxanthellae. This oxygen irritates sensitive tissue. Corals and clams that appear to shrivel or close under intense lighting are attempting to shade their zooxanthellae crop to reduce the rate of oxygen production. Iodine (as the iodide ion) essentially bonds with oxygen to form non-toxic iodate, relieving the need to shield zooxanthellae and enabling the host organism to open fully. The predominant form of iodine in seawater is iodide. The natural seawater concentration of all iodine species combined is approximately 0.06 ppm, classifying it as a minor element. Even in this small concentration, iodine is required for survival of fishes, crustaceans, macroalgae and kelp, and hermatypic invertebrates alike. Iodine binds rapidly with latent organic material and is passively removed by aggressive protein skimming and the use of organic-adsorption products such as activated carbon and specialty resins. The combined biological and chemical depletion of iodine necessitate that its concentration be monitored and the aquarium supplemented as needed. The rate at which iodine is extracted from the water is determined by the stocking density of reef-building livestock, type of lighting, and other biological, physical, and chemical conditions. Once the rate of iodine uptake in the aquarium has been determined, the proper dosing rate of this product can be easily calculated.

Instructions and Guidelines

Determine the iodine concentration in the aquarium using an accurate test kit before supplementing. Each ml of Brightwell Aquatics Lugol’s will increase the concentration of iodine (“”) in 1 US-gallon (3.785 L) of water by 18 ppm, or approximately 0.9 ppm per drop. Add this product at the maximum dosage of 1 drop (1/20th ml) per 35 US-gallons daily to maintain a concentration of 0.05 ppm. Always try to maintain the within a range of +/-0.02 ppm. Determine the required daily dosing rate (recommended to weekly dosing) by measuring the aquarium's at the same time each day over a one- to two-week period. Estimate the volume of water in the entire aquarium system; divide the daily decrease in by 0.9; multiply this number by the volume of water in the system to get the daily dosage required (drops) to maintain a stable .

To create a dip for corals and their allies, add 1.50 ml (30 drops) of Lugol’s per gallon of purified water in a plastic or glass container, then immerse coral completely for 10 - 12 minutes. Caution: Keep out of reach of children. Not for human consumption. Contact poison control center if ingested. Guaranteed Analysis Iodine (min) 2,000 mg/oz. (67,641 ppm) Ingredients Purified water, Potassium Iodide, Iodine

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use about 10 drops in a cup or so. Just make it look like watered down tea

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@paulrathor92 I know this is a bit late, but just a small update as I was looking into this as well, as Brightwell doesn't provide instructions with the bottle. Due to new USA federal guidelines, it seems that Brightwell aquatics now has to sell a lower a lower concentration of lugols. So two solutions are currently on the market, with one being phased out. The new concentration raises iodine by 12ppm/gallon instead of 18ppm.

Brightwell aquatics official instructions for a dip are as follows:

Note: Lugol's has been manufactured in two strengths and was changed recently due to government regulations... Your label will reflect the strength you have...

EZ Calculations for a Dip: 14.4 divided by the ppm per gallon on the label = ml to add to one gallon of tank water in your bucket. If you label says the Lugol's will raise 1 US gallon of water by 12 ppm, the calculation would be: 14.4/12=1.2 ml of Lugol's. So you would add 1.2 ml of a dropperful and then 20% of another drop-earful to 1 gallon of tank water that you placed in the bucket. That would also be 1 dropperful plus 4 drops. (a dropperful is 1 ml or 20 drops). Corals may be soaked for 10 to 12 minutes. SET A TIMER!

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or 6 drops per quart if you have the new 12ppm solution. Just thought I'd put their update out there

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All it says on it is that use 1ml per 30 gallons
I dont see that! All I see is a crazy mathematical way to determine how much your tank needs! I don't see any info as a dip! It says 3 drops is 1ml! I would love to start dosing but I am not Einstein and love to dip my dying torch as well! I have never seen anything so difficult!

I am editing this now because the the label on bottle is different then the label on outside of packaging! It says to test water first which I dont have a test kit for iodine then it gives some mathematical jargon which I cant seem to grasp! lol But then its says add this product at the maximum doage of 2 drops per 30 gallons! I wonder if 1 drop is safe for a 36 gallon plus 10 gallon sump! I don t know how I would dose a 20 gallon aio, or how the heck could you safely use as a dip? I spoke with someone who had crazy lashes on zoas that dosed iodine!

Last edited:

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Or 6 drops per quart if you have the new 12ppm solution. Just thought I'd put their update out there
Where didi you hear this? Ibought mine about 6 months ago but dosnt say the strength! Do you know if its safe to odose not knowing what your iodine level is? How much would you think for a 36 gallonplus 10 sump, plus live rock? I want the crazy long lashes on my zoas I saw and he said he dosed lugols!

I am also trying to save a dying torch? I don like removing a quart of water from my tank though! I usually only dip with 2 cups. What amount would you say is safe for a 2 cup dip? I hope you don t mind me asking!

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Where didi you hear this? Ibought mine about 6 months ago but dosnt say the strength! Do you know if its safe to odose not knowing what your iodine level is? How much would you think for a 36 gallonplus 10 sump, plus live rock? I want the crazy long lashes on my zoas I saw and he said he dosed lugols!

I am also trying to save a dying torch? I don like removing a quart of water from my tank though! I usually only dip with 2 cups. What amount would you say is safe for a 2 cup dip? I hope you don t mind me asking!
Mine says it under the instructions and guidelines part of the bottle. "Lugol's will increase the concentration of iodine in 1 us-gallon of water by 12ppm"

I purchased around 6 months ago as well so you probably have this solution. I had to do some digging on Lugol's poorly made website to find their dip solution.

If it's the 12ppm solution it's just 3 drops in 2 cups of water from your tank for a dip

If it's the 18ppm solution then 2 drops in 2 cups for a dip

I doubt you have the 18ppm so you'll probably go with 3 drops.

Last edited:

zafink

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine says it under the instructions and guidelines part of the bottle. "Lugol's will increase the concentration of iodine in 1 us-gallon of water by 12ppm"

I purchased around 6 months ago as well so you probably have this solution. I had to do some digging on Lugol's poorly made website to find their dip solution.

If it's the 12ppm solution it's just 6 drops in 1 quart of water from your tank.

If it's the 18ppm solution then 4 drops in a quart. if you can't find which concentration you have, just split the difference and go with 5 drops to be safe. an extra drop isn't going to hurt
as far as dosing the tank, I would say don't do it unless you are an expert-level reefer. especially with this stuff, too easy to OD, and no point.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as far as dosing the tank, I would say don't do it unless you are an expert-level reefer. especially with this stuff, too easy to OD, and no point.
I think I just did the torch in! It looks real bad after the dip! A lot worse! I read somewhere 40 drops per gallon so I only used about a cup but put in 3 drops so must have been to strong! I think it was dying is because it was delivered bent in half! It never fully opened but I was sticking the post straight down into the rock so the wavemaker seemd like it might have made the tentacles recede and die. My torches next to it flow gently back and forth.

I just figured out yesterday if I place the mount sort of off on the side of the rock it makes the head stick straight up like it should! the flow was hitting it better at that point but just to far gone I think.

I wish I would have reported this right away to the seller! I also wish I would have angled the post differtly so the head sticks straight up! Its a 24 kt and I stole it basically for 150! I knew it was to good to be true! Brightest torch in my tank! I iwll attach a pic and you can see what I mean about it being bent! .

I hope the tentacles are just closed on part of it now but it looks like they are gone and perhaps dissolved in the dip. I did also pull out some sort of critter! Looks like a small worm! What could that be? It dosnt look flat like a flat worm and dosnt look like a bristle worm. I have lots of bristle worms in my tanks! Thats not a bad thing is it?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 17 8.1%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 48 22.9%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 50 23.8%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 52 24.8%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 9 4.3%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 23 11.0%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 11 5.2%
Back