How to defeat this Algae? How to diagnose what algae?

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys. New to reefing and I have two new tanks under 6 months old. Seems like I’m hitting the ugly stage. This is a first for me so I don't want to combat things the wrong way. One tank seems to have Dinos, and another seems to have Cyano. One tank is maturing pretty well with only the sand turning brown during daylight hours and then going away a little bit by night. Never gets too overwhelming. I think my strategy is to just ride it out and see how nature takes its course. I'll probably add some more CUC and a sand sifter to combat this problem.. On the other hand my other tank seems to be fighting this red/pink/purpleish algae heavily and I'm afraid its going to suffocate some corals soon. It appears as this strand hair like effect. It also seems to bubble up air bubbles on the rock. Im having trouble determining what type of Algae this is but my guess is Cyano? If someone could help me diagnose this and help me figure out a solution to combat this, I'd greatly appreciate it!

Both tanks have Nitrates anywhere from 10-20 depending on age of water change (weekly wc). But Phosphates I can't seem to get up past 0 even with heavy feeding.

Things i've been considering to combat this algae problem is
- Feeding heavier
- Dosing light TM Phos Feed
- Chemi Clean
- Coral Snow
- Cyano Clean
- NO3:pO4-X Reducer

I'm scared to add chemicals to the tank in fear of its potential negative effects. Im having trouble deciding what to do. If anyone has an article they can link me to to read more on algae war, i'd appreciate it! Thank you!

IMG_5690.jpg IMG_5692.jpg IMG_5742.jpg IMG_5743.jpg IMG_5744.jpg IMG_5745.jpg

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Dinos for sure. Dose up those phosphates over 2 weeks to something over .1 and try your best to hold there while keeping nitrate there. Also, dose 40% sodium silicate (water glass) at 1ml per 50 gal daily until it looks like it's getting way worse then start to back it down slowly over 2-3 weeks. A cheap microscope would help for sure to know when diatoms are starting to bloom and also monitor which type of dinos are sticking around. A UV looks like it MAY help with the snot on the rocks but a microscope would be more definitive so I wouldn't rush out a drop $400 on one.

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dinos for sure. Dose up those phosphates over 2 weeks to something over .1 and try your best to hold there while keeping nitrate there. Also, dose 40% sodium silicate (water glass) at 1ml per 50 gal daily until it looks like it's getting way worse then start to back it down slowly over 2-3 weeks. A cheap microscope would help for sure to know when diatoms are starting to bloom and also monitor which type of dinos are sticking around. A UV looks like it MAY help with the snot on the rocks but a microscope would be more definitive so I wouldn't rush out a drop $400 on one.
Thank you! In the picture theres 2 pics of one tank that I suspect are dinos, but the other 4 pics the algae looks different. You dont think thats cyano?

thedon986

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cyano usually forms a more dense mat, more dark red and when you blow it with a turkey baster it will break up but will still stay in “sheets” somewhat. If you blow it and nearly everything disintegrates it’s dinos.

Back