How to use brs starter kit.

JohnCol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got a brs starter kit for free that has kalkwasser, magnesium, calcium and alkalinity additive. Show how to mix it an all. But I'm not sure on how to go about adding it. My tank is getting older. And I'm really struggling with magnesium mostly. PH is slightly lower than I want

My alk is 8
Ph 8
Calcium 400
Magnesium 150.

Salinity is between 34 and 36 ppm 2 testers a refracto and digital just calibrated but both have about 4 ppm difference.

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20 trying to get sump cleaned out I'm pretty sure this is my issue.
Phosphate .020 again I think my sump needs a good cleaning.
Temp is 78

Never really had to worry about dosing before

OP
OP
J

JohnCol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I thought so as well. But ran the test twice. Using a salifert kit for magnesium. Really hard to find a magnesium kit even online. Shows 2 ml of tank water. Than to pull 1ml of the reagent 2. Do the drops of reagant 1 and swirl for 5 to 10 seconds. Than add reagent 2 1 drop at a time. Each line on the 1ml syringe is your reference for after color change from pink to blue for the chart. I don't remember the exact number but out of the 1ml syringe I think it was .89 reagent 2 used to get the color change.

This is a new kit also my old kits were right at the expiration date. And they were giving me odd readings. So I trashed them and got new ones.

I'll watch a video I'm sure someone on YouTube has one. Maybe I am doing it wrong. I'll re test again when I get home from work.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't remember the exact number but out of the 1ml syringe I think it was .89 reagent 2 used to get the color change.

That's a lot of magnesium, not a small amount.

Habib (owner of Salifert) needs to fix this long standing problem of reading the kit backwards.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
J

JohnCol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am reading it wrong. This makes me feel so much better. I'm definitely going to retest when I get home. I'll post results.

You guys are right it's not entirely clear on what you are reading. I was thinking it was the amount added not the amount left.

It goes into in depth detail about the syringes and leaving the air pocket and stuff. But I see how I was reading it backwards. Thank you

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I am reading it wrong. This makes me feel so much better. I'm definitely going to retest when I get home. I'll post results.

You guys are right it's not entirely clear on what you are reading. I was thinking it was the amount added not the amount left.

It goes into in depth detail about the syringes and leaving the air pocket and stuff. But I see how I was reading it backwards. Thank you

It's a problem that many have had in the past, so don't sweat it. :)

Other things seem fine and we can advise on when and how to use the other products. :)

OP
OP
J

JohnCol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watched a video a yup reading it backwards ha ha ha. I'm getting about 7.5 roughly not 7 but not 8 so according to chart I'm between 1410 and 1380 and that's alot better than what I was getting hahaha.

Had me scared. Like I literally just did a 15% roughly water change. 2, 5 gallon buckets is just easier to measure than to try to do 10%.

OP
OP
J

JohnCol

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess I'll just keep that free brs kit I got put up and waiting just in case.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

IS YOUR REEF AUTOMATED? WHY OR WHY NOT?

• Yes, my tank is almost fully automated.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • Yes, I have some automation in my tank.

Votes: 57 38.0%
  • Yes, but I have very little automation in my tank.

Votes: 37 24.7%
  • No, I have no automation in my tank.

Votes: 17 11.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 1.3%
Back