I don’t get yellow tangs…

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
now this wrasse is one I would have even if their price went up to the yellow tang’s price (and I am aware they were once only just hitting the 100 mark). It’s one I’ll be after almost instantly if this Hawaii ban is finished.

I guess I’m just not a fan of Tangs, I’ve found Yellows to be the problem in most tanks I’ve had them in at LFSs. And since having 3 tangs in my personal tanks I probably won’t own one unless it’s an Achilles or one of the other 3 I like - Achilles Hybrid, Powder Blue Hybrid and Gold Rim. They’re worth the aggression they come with, the others I’ve yet to find why their aggression is worth it.

Ya I am not drawn to Tangs but do have a yellow that gets to stay forever as long as it keeps absolutely destroying algae and not bothering tank mates. His name is Mellow Yellow. I honestly could not care if he looked like a floating poop because he does such a great job on algae and completely keeps to himself. My copperband chased him around :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

Hopefully the upgrade from a 4 foot tank to a 6 foot does not turn him into an overconfident jerk.

I had two Hawaii Koles, never again. Absolute buttheads.

Also it sounds like you are a fan of Tangs... you are a fan of Achilles Hybrid, Powder Blue Hybrid and Gold Rim.

Doctorgori

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
When the hobby started yellow tangs were one of the most common fish. Pretty cheap also.
20 years ago they were $19 and 3 for $49 on payday. If you had one or even multiples you were laughed at as a beginner or for just simply taking up valuable space in your reef.
20 bucks max when I left Phoenix circa 2000 ...

Bluefin tuna used to be a trash fish and TONs of Orange roughly ended up in landfills and a tang is over $100 ... less fish, more people ....

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would like all those example unobtainable fish except the dottyback and the eels. It'd be great if they were available again. It kind of feels like everywhere I just see the same couple of fish available - though it is nice to see the scopas being popular now that yellow's are so expensive.

But - there's just something about the yellow tang. They're very striking. It's the first fish anyone sees. There are other yellow fish sure but they are smaller and often shyer. Right now my canary wrasse is the star of the show for similar reasons. If they also had a cute face like a sailfin they'd be even more popular.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just struggle with having them in a home aquarium for our own enjoyment - they seem very active and curious in videos I see of them in the wild. Some of these marathon swimmers just seem cramped in almost any tank!
When I was in Hawaii

I went to a restaurant that had a huge aquarium

They had yellow tangs in it, that were 12+ inches in size. Naso tangs, blue tangs same

Do you realize what the means for tangs kept in virtually every reefer's aquarium?

How much of this, "I get to decide what fish you get to keep in your tank" went into the ban in the first place? 100% of it

It's not like they are rare or endangered in Hawaii. There are just as many yellow tangs in Hawaii now, as there were when I went there in the 90s

#FTTP #ATCAB

Last edited:

blecki

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's selection bias. Literally, in that they probably threw back the little ones. Max size != average size.

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You see this all over most hobbies. Something is cheap and nice/useful, it gets lauded all over the forums and people's opinions in general, it steadily gets more expensive past the point where other options are superior/ better price per performance/whatever, but by that point people are trapped in the loop of outdated opinions. Like a small tradition where people forgot what the point was.

Now it's just a thing that you have to do

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I was in Hawaii

I went to a restaurant that had a huge aquarium

They had yellow tangs in it, that were 12+ inches in size. Naso tangs, blue tangs same

Do you realize what the means for tangs kept in virtually every reefer's aquarium?
I’d be intrigued if Polo Reef’s Yellows are near to that size.

Solo McReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's selection bias. Literally, in that they probably threw back the little ones. Max size != average size.
I am sure the restaurant collected them that big

They were all that big just off shore when I fed them peas snorkeling

I suspect that restaurant killed a lot of 12" tangs in that tank

Idiot shows like that Tanked show probably went into the Hawaii ban. I remember watching just one of those way back when, "These idiots are killing fish and coral left and right, and making a TV show about it. This is bad". I can't remember seeing more than one episode

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a large group of them you would undetstand.
Even then they just seem like a giant group of murder fish to me.

But I am also someone whose willing to sacrifice owning tangs for wrasses.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forget the fact it is yellow, it is a zebrasoma that can fit in a smaller foot print than something like a Sailfin and it is generally less aggressive than a purple and costs less than a gem.

So even on paper not factoring in color, it seems like an attractive choice if a person wants a zebrasoma Tang.
That’s the main reason I see for one. It’s a shame that sail fins are so massive. I saw them in Hawaii and knew I’d need a public aquarium tank for one.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a large group of them you would undetstand.
I’ve dove with them and my local aquarium have probably 100 or so in their giant coral wall tank. They are a bit of a horde fish. I much prefered seeing Naso tangs who actually school or the pairs of sailfin tangs who display with each other.

Also the ones at the aquarium often show signs of fighting which is a shame.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s the main reason I see for one. It’s a shame that sail fins are so massive. I saw them in Hawaii and knew I’d need a public aquarium tank for one.
Did you see any Achilles in Hawaii?

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As with any hobby. The more expensive something gets. The more desirable that becomes. In the 80s. Yellow tangs weren't that desirable considering every reef tank I saw or at least what was called a reef tank had a purple tang instead or those I spoke with not having one sought the purple with the higher price tag. See the same with frags. Mushrooms with warts seeking attention.

Exclusivity what many of us seek. Tank of the month and Instagram clicks just natural human nature yet lucky for me my nearby reefs loaded with obtainable beauties requiring nothing more than locating the right bridge or pier, minnow trap and clams. :)

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve dove with them and my local aquarium have probably 100 or so in their giant coral wall tank. They are a bit of a horde fish. I much prefered seeing Naso tangs who actually school or the pairs of sailfin tangs who display with each other.

Also the ones at the aquarium often show signs of fighting which is a shame.
I loved watching these guys at a public aquarium near my hometown. This is one that you go to and can clearly see it’s for conservation over attraction - Just look how fat these Lituratus are!
IMG_6432.jpeg

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you see any Achilles in Hawaii?
I wish. They were definitely one I wanted to see most but nope. I believe they prefer very high current areas? And I was obviously swimming in safer conditions.

OP
OP
Slocke

Slocke

I'm pedantic, ignore me
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I loved watching these guys at a public aquarium near my hometown. This is one that you go to and can clearly see it’s for conservation over attraction - Just look how fat these Lituratus are!
IMG_6432.jpeg
These were one of my highlights in Hawaii. You think that’s fat you should have seen the one who owned the reef near my hotel. Was American football shaped and about 18” with the longest tail tassels you’ve ever seen.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wish. They were definitely one I wanted to see most but nope. I believe they prefer very high current areas? And I was obviously swimming in safer conditions.
Yeah, they’re a tang that love the surge zones and just constantly throw themselves against the current. It’s interesting to watch them naturally as they are a gorgeous fish.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW OFTEN DO YOU BUY NEW CORAL?

• Weekly.

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Monthly.

Votes: 14 20.0%
  • Every several months.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • A few times a year.

Votes: 18 25.7%
  • Once a year.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I'd rather not say as I don't want to leave a digital footprint for my significant other...

Votes: 10 14.3%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 2 2.9%
Back