I got a light…Is it good?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it possible to return it? If not, someone with a freshwater tank may want it. As others have said, it's a freshwater light, it leans a little towards the yellow end of the spectrum. It likely has the power to grow corals, but the yellow will look funny, and encourage bad algae growth. The LFS employee may have mislead you, or they may have made a genuine mistake. I'd at least go back and politely ask them.

Could I also mention, I have had a lot of luck picking up gear from the for sale section here at R2R. Over time, I've found lots of items, lights included, at great prices, often times in like-new condition.

https://www.reef2reef.com/forums/selling-forum-dry-goods.60/

Good luck!

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Go back and ask for the manager and tell them you were sold this as a coral light and got home and found out it is not and you would like a refund

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Go back and ask for the manager and tell them you were sold this as a coral light and got home and found out it is not and you would like a refund
Yeah, and I'd just suggest politely for now. Someone could have made a mistake and grabbed the wrong box. If they give you a hard time about it, that's another story, but the first thing I'd say is to go back and talk to them.

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Absolutely not a coral light.
5497EC58-D684-4865-BA6E-63F6FCBE46F6.png

Be polite, say you think a mistake was made. Give them the benefit a doubt and see if they will exchange or refund. This is a freshwater light for plants not coral

ChrisfromBrick

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So, as the title says I got a light. I was getting some water from an LFS, and I noticed they had a Current brand light. I know they’re discontinued, but I’ve heard some pretty good things about them. IMG_5710.jpeg
Is this version any good?
rule#1- never trust your local fish store
rule#2- consult r2r before you buy lighting

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Thank them for the offer on <fish/coral/equipment>

Politely excuse yourself for a moment to think / “discuss with spouse”

Go to car and post on R2R with urgent in subject and ask what to do

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
^Indeed, plus like a million. But it's possible the LFS made a genuine mistake, so I'd suggest going back and politely asking them about it.

But to your point, and @ZachariahBeanz just ask here first before you make a major purchase ;-)

Shoot, this forum is so active, so awesome, that I believe you could have posted this question from your phone right from your LFS, and got a reply in the 10 or 15 minutes you were there looking at fish and corals anyway. In no way do I mean to suggest you made a mistake, you didn't. This is not me talking down to you (I'd never do that). I'm just saying R2R rocks, and next time, just ask here before you leave the LFS. I'll bet you would have gotten an answer.

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank them for the offer on <fish/coral/equipment>

Politely excuse yourself for a moment to think / “discuss with spouse”

Go to car and post on R2R with urgent in subject and ask what to do
^Yes! Basically what I was trying to say lol! And you did it in about 10% of the words lol!

OP
OP
ZachariahBeanz

ZachariahBeanz

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Absolutely not a coral light.
5497EC58-D684-4865-BA6E-63F6FCBE46F6.png

Be polite, say you think a mistake was made. Give them the benefit a doubt and see if they will exchange or refund. This is a freshwater light for plants not coral
Yeah, and I'd just suggest politely for now. Someone could have made a mistake and grabbed the wrong box. If they give you a hard time about it, that's another story, but the first thing I'd say is to go back and talk to them.
Is returning it an option? Ik my LFS do allow dry good return
I went back yesterday, and sadly the worker there (different one than the one who sold the light to me) said it was over the 24 hour return period they allow. I guess I’ll have to look into selling it

Cantusaurus

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear about this situation. I would definitely go with the Noop, smatfarm, or Nicrew hyper reef. I only have experience with the Nicrew, but the others have a good track record. Depends on how much you want to spend. The only thing about the Nicrews is that you really want to get the controller for it. So the Nicrew will be a bit pricier.

exnisstech

Grumpy old man
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went back yesterday, and sadly the worker there (different one than the one who sold the light to me) said it was over the 24 hour return period they allow. I guess I’ll have to look into selling it
That sounds like a livestock policy not dry goods. If it is thier dry goods policy I would never return. I would request a manager or owner verify that is the policy. What if you bought a $1k light and didn't get it up for a couple of days and found out it was defective?

VintageReefer

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Did you ask for the owner/manager? At this point personally I would escalate and

1) 24 hour return period is unheard of these days. For lifestock I can understand but not for hardware

2) you were sold it deceptively / mistakingly. I don’t know their intent. Sell a discontinued light and get it out of inventory. Or if the person selling it legitimate was clueless. Either way. Sold falsely

3) I would ask for the owner and start to escalate more aggressively. Call if you can’t go back. But I’d call immediately

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That really sucks, I would think the LFS would have been more willing to help you out. I would think in this day and age they'd need all the customers they can get. I would definitely double check with an owner/manager. 24 hours on hard goods is kind ridiculous for a store policy, and was that posted anywhere in the store, or printed on your sales receipt?

I'm not a lawyer, but I had heard in the past that by Federal law consumers have a three day right of refusal on purchases, meaning they can be returned inside of three days even if you just change your mind, but I could just be making that up. I'd still throw that at them if/when you talk to them again.

I really would try again with a manger or owner, and explain that you don't want to return, but exchange the light for the saltwater version, or at least another reef-appropriate light. Maybe offer to pay a modest restocking fee??

And then if that fails, I think you have to decide what this light is worth, and whether you want to try to escalate this, either in person with the store, or by reaching out to your credit card company, if you used one. If you did use a credit card, you may be able to get them to reverse the charge under the premise that you were misled by the store employee. All of this may ruin your relationship with your LFS, and you'll have to decide what that's worth to you in the long run. If they are otherwise a solid fish store, and possibly the only fish store in your area, you may want to eat this one, and sell your light on eBay. Current USA lights do sell on eBay, they still have a decent following, especially in the freshwater community. You can also post here at R2R under the for sale section, lots of members here also keep freshwater. Also Facebook Marketplace.

Consider: this is a hobby where you're just going to lose money. None of us can say they've never bought the wrong light or another piece of gear for their tank. You'll sometimes find you chose the wrong protein skimmer, for example, and then you have to go out and buy the skimmer you really needed. So you bought a skimmer twice; waste of money. Unless you're the most diligent reefer in terms of research and planning, this is going to happen at some point. Maybe just chalk this up to a learning experience, move on, and try to sell your light.

On the other hand, if you're like me, you would tell them just what they can do with their freshwater light, misleading advice, and terrible after-sale customer service. I'd plug the light in, and toss it in their largest display tank before proudly declaring, "I will never shop here again!". And after the cops show up for me and I'm sitting in jail, I'll think to myself, "that was stupid, they are the only fish store inside 100 miles.... And who's going to feed my fish while I'm in jail......". <<Hypothetically, of course ;-)

Good luck!

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 18x18x14. I was looking at the noopsyche mini. But since this LFS worker was selling this “reef” light for a discounted price, I went for that

1723685994665.png

Ask them to return it based on that it is a freshwater light and you were mislead

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1723685994665.png

Ask them to return it based on that it is a freshwater light and you were mislead
The OP tried, another employee told them the store has a 24 hour return policy on hardgoods. Pretty crappy customer service.

Tamberav

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The OP tried, another employee told them the store has a 24 hour return policy on hardgoods. Pretty crappy customer service.

I would insist. Go get the I want to speak to your manager hair cut.. ;)

Otherwise it would be great for a macroalgae tank!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
So, as the title says I got a light. I was getting some water from an LFS, and I noticed they had a Current brand light. I know they’re discontinued, but I’ve heard some pretty good things about them. IMG_5710.jpeg
Is this version any good?
Unfortunately very low end and low wattage and lacks the spectrums required for most coral

Back