I need help with setting up a new reef tank

Saltwater_Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a fluval evo 13.5 gallon for over a year and a half and I have a bio cube ready to be setup. I have 20 lbs of sand and 13 pounds of rock in the fluval. What all will I need to setup the bio cube? Can I use the rock and sand that I already have? I also have coral and will I be able to add them to the tank the same day I set the bio cube up?

ScottJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can transfer the rock. I might rinse the sand, your call. Transfer any media you have in the Evo. You should be able to add your coral right away.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had a fluval evo 13.5 gallon for over a year and a half and I have a bio cube ready to be setup. I have 20 lbs of sand and 13 pounds of rock in the fluval. What all will I need to setup the bio cube? Can I use the rock and sand that I already have? I also have coral and will I be able to add them to the tank the same day I set the bio cube up?
Is it live sand? If it is don't wash it, it will make dead sand

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard at least 1lb per gallon but if you want more shouldn't be an issue. I am not an expert I'm just suggesting what's been suggested to me
Used to be 1.5 to 2lbs per gallon. Not anymore. 1lb per gallon is just fine. Really, it depends on what kind of bioload you're planning on.

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I would definitely move the sand and rock over, but rinse your sand in old tank water to get the debris out but not over shock the bacteria in your sand bed. By giving it a good rinse you’ll loose a lot of the beneficial bacteria as it gets knocked off, but a decent amount will get transferred into your new tank . Also try and move around 20-30% or your old tank water into the new tank.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back