I used api ick cure on my dt mistakenly. Will my corals be okay?

xeqtologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have freshwater tanks and when ich goes around I use api’s super ick cure. I’ve never had ick in my salt tank and saw one of my fish with ick so I read it’s fine for salt tanks but like an idiot I didn’t read that it can harm coral. I dosed 70% of what I was supposed to before seeing its harmful or can be for coral, and I immediately pulled 10% of the water out and am currently doing a 10% clean water change. I have a 40 gallon breeder and an aqua clear 70 filter which can filter out 300 GPH. I put my big bag of carbon back in and took another smaller bag of carbon and put it in the filter. I read that the api ick cure treatment is rendered useless when it goes through carbon. My question is I’ve got soft and lps coral and with all the steps I took to correct the super ick cure does anyone have any sort of time frame on how long this stuff is dangerous to coral? They’ll hopefully only be exposed to any trace amounts for an hour (I have now quarantined the sick fish and have learned my lesson not to medicate the main tank.)

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have freshwater tanks and when ich goes around I use api’s super ick cure. I’ve never had ick in my salt tank and saw one of my fish with ick so I read it’s fine for salt tanks but like an idiot I didn’t read that it can harm coral. I dosed 70% of what I was supposed to before seeing its harmful or can be for coral, and I immediately pulled 10% of the water out and am currently doing a 10% clean water change. I have a 40 gallon breeder and an aqua clear 70 filter which can filter out 300 GPH. I put my big bag of carbon back in and took another smaller bag of carbon and put it in the filter. I read that the api ick cure treatment is rendered useless when it goes through carbon. My question is I’ve got soft and lps coral and with all the steps I took to correct the super ick cure does anyone have any sort of time frame on how long this stuff is dangerous to coral? They’ll hopefully only be exposed to any trace amounts for an hour (I have now quarantined the sick fish and have learned my lesson not to medicate the main tank.)
Carbon will remove the active ingredient and yes, it is virtually useless in marine setting.
You want to use coppersafe which is a chelated form of treatment and rendered safe when applied properly. I would not use any copper product and most meds with coral and inverts present but rather in a separate treatment tank dedicated to treatment

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The answer to your question is that its 'dangerous to coral' as long as its in the tank.. Water changes are great (I might have done a larger percentage - since you're removing only a trivial amount. Carbon has probably removed much of the issue - I would watch your corals - though there would not be much to do

OP
OP
X

xeqtologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The answer to your question is that its 'dangerous to coral' as long as its in the tank.. Water changes are great (I might have done a larger percentage - since you're removing only a trivial amount. Carbon has probably removed much of the issue - I would watch your corals - though there would not be much to do
I would've done a larger WC but I had to go to work within 10 mins and it would drop my salinity way too low if i were to take out any more than 10% because i only had enough time to run the water with no salt as I run higher salinity for my hammers and torches so it brought it to about .24-.25. I'll probably do a proper water change of 20% on top of the 10% i did this morning just to make sure and ill rinse the carbon bags out. Thank you for your advice.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would've done a larger WC but I had to go to work within 10 mins and it would drop my salinity way too low if i were to take out any more than 10% because i only had enough time to run the water with no salt as I run higher salinity for my hammers and torches so it brought it to about .24-.25. I'll probably do a proper water change of 20% on top of the 10% i did this morning just to make sure and ill rinse the carbon bags out. Thank you for your advice.
I think I might be mistaken in understanding what you're doing with the carbon -Rinsing the bags is fine, I would replace the carbon itself. hope everything works out

OP
OP
X

xeqtologist

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I might be mistaken in understanding what you're doing with the carbon -Rinsing the bags is fine, I would replace the carbon itself. hope everything works out
the corals look good. torches are out and extended and everything looks good. I got the ich infected fish into quarantine and treated them with some of the coppersafe and threw some reef rocks in there so they wouldn't be too stressed with no where to go. Is that tank gonna be obsolete for inverts since the silicone and rock have absorbed the copper or do you think itd be fine?

JayM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the corals look good. torches are out and extended and everything looks good. I got the ich infected fish into quarantine and treated them with some of the coppersafe and threw some reef rocks in there so they wouldn't be too stressed with no where to go. Is that tank gonna be obsolete for inverts since the silicone and rock have absorbed the copper or do you think itd be fine?
The tank should be fine for inverts after a good cleaning, but any of the rock exposed to copper won’t be.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The tank should be fine for inverts after a good cleaning, but any of the rock exposed to copper won’t be.
I would ditch the rock - its not worth the worry IMHO - however - many people just measure the levels - I would just get rid of it - additionally, its not the best idea to treat fish in a tank with rock - since the copper can be adsorbed - and thus the 'treatment level' can become lower. It requires careful monitoring

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A TANK EMERGENCY? SHARE YOUR STORY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 57 66.3%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other (pleas explain).

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back