If a zoa head is dying/melting at the top, should I cut it off?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For over a week this head has looked closed on one side and has been slowly shrinking. It now appears that the closed area and the skirt on that side are gone and the remaining tissue is white and swollen. Do I cut this one off because a disease or something else might spread to other heads?

1619544361097.png

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That looks like the skirt got eaten. You have asterinas?
No asterinas or anything to sting it. I think I spoke to you about this same zoa a week or so ago. It was growing quite tall compared to the other heads and the stem was getting thin. Then one side looked folded over / not opened all the way and got a bit slimy looking a day or so later, now this. Here is a picture from a few days ago:

1619545572880.png

Last edited:

PicassoClown04

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeesh :(. Id just leave it, it seems to be improving
No asterinas or anything to sting it. I think I spoke to you about this same zoa a week or so ago. It was growing quite tall compared to the other heads and the stem was getting thin. Then one side looked folded over / not opened all the way and got a bit slimy looking a day or so later, now this. Here is a picture from a few days ago:

1619545572880.png

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeesh :(. Id just leave it, it seems to be improving
It's been a tough week for my zoas. Yesterday I spot fed my favorite zoas some of a free sample of Polyp Booster I got a couple of months ago. 6 hours later the pink diamonds were turning almost black, some blue palys were dark grey, and the bloodsuckers looked stepped on. I guess it had gone bad (?) A couple of pink diamonds barfed out their insides overnight. Somehow they are still open.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been a tough week for my zoas. Yesterday I spot fed my favorite zoas some of a free sample of Polyp Booster I got a couple of months ago. 6 hours later the pink diamonds were turning almost black, some blue palys were dark grey, and the bloodsuckers looked stepped on. I guess it had gone bad (?) A couple of pink diamonds barfed out their insides overnight. Somehow they are still open.
i might consider holding off on the feeding if there are problems showing up.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Unfortunately, it exploded out the side. I removed it.

1620100617305.png

I have that come up now and again. I usually do furan-2 dips in case it's bacterial issue. If the polyp in question doesn't respond to dipping I triage and remove it, anything else that looks like it might be affected. Disease can move easily though a zoa colony thanks to the mat so when in doubt, cut and remove and hit the colony with a mild lugol's bath before returning to the aquarium.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have that come up now and again. I usually do furan-2 dips in case it's bacterial issue. If the polyp in question doesn't respond to dipping I triage and remove it, anything else that looks like it might be affected. Disease can move easily though a zoa colony thanks to the mat so when in doubt, cut and remove and hit the colony with a mild lugol's bath before returning to the aquarium.
Thanks. I did that afterwards and the rest seem ok. The stuff that came out the side looks like it has not been alive for awhile.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 101 28.9%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 146 41.7%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 87 24.9%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 16 4.6%
Back