I'm scared!!!!

Max447

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I ordered a hairy mushroom coral from someone on eBay, And I am planning on having clownfish. I just read online that someone's hairy mushroom ate there clown. Can someone tell me this is false or a way to prevent it! I'm literally shaking rn, clownfish got me into this Hobby and so I keep them in all of my tanks. Could feeding the mushroom mysis shrimp twice a week prevent them from eating my clowns?

gashunk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a hair mushroom and I've never heard or experienced this whole also having clown I've had a total of four in the tank while the mushroom is in the tank

Pruett-nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Imo I think it is very rare for a mushroom to eat a clownfish. About like lightning striking the same place twice . Someone's mushroom eating their clown is prob. Rare accident or it could have died.

ENARP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had an elephant ear mushroom eat a mated pair of maroon clowns.....just sayin'....**it happens!

steve&mari

Blessed Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've also had hairy mushrooms before without problems with clowns. Anything is possible but with that shroom I'd say fish was either almost dead or dead and it was taking advantage of a easy meal.

WetWhistle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Elephant ear mushroom are a different story. They release a chemical that intoxicates and stops the fish from moving and encloses the fish to eat it. They also call them purse string mushrooms because of the ability to fold up t eat larger pray. With that being said it doesn't happen often. I have had elephant ear mushroom for decades with only one issue. If you are worried keep them well fed. Problem solved.

Ant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it happen with about 5 fish back in the 80's with a large Rhodactis but it took forever to figure out what was happening until one day I saw the mushroom folded in on itself like a ball and I saw my gramma trying to poke its way out of the sides. I was able to save the fish but lost a all my Green Chromis since it took so long to find the culprit. This mushroom was a good 6 inches from side to side and I have never seen or heard of this behavior in the smaller types (that often live in groups) which also happens to be more colorful. I have only known of the greenish-brown-beige solitary ones showing this behavior.

Back