Is it possible to keep an Magnifica in a Biocube?

The new fish on the block

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone,

Mags have been one of the nems on my wishlist for quite a while, and I was wondering if it would be possible for me to keep one in a Biocube 32?

I have already upgraded the lighting to a Noopsyche K7 pro v3, which can put out a ton of light so I’m not too worried in that aspect, but mostly about how big they can get. Has anyone successfully kept one in a smaller tank?

My tank only has a pair of Picasso clowns in it at the moment, as I’m still debating which route I would like to go ( Nem/ Clowns, or Mixed Reef)

Also, I have Cipro on hand, so treating the nem should not be an issue if needed.

Any input is greatly appreciated!
IMG_3322.jpeg

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It seems like a bad idea... They get over 2 feet wide, and if they touch anything that is taller than them (like the wall) they will try to climb it.
Based off of some of the threads I have read, *it should be * relatively easy to control their growth with feeding.

*edited*

Last edited:

D-Nak

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it'll be a tight fit--but could work--if you find the right size magnifica. For me, the smallest tank would probably something like a 24" x 24" x 24" 60 gallon cube with the rock structure in the very center. Though not that much smaller, the problem with the biocube is that (as @bradleym mentioned) the magnifica will be able to touch the sides of the tank with its tentacles, assuming it's a decent sized anemone (one large enough to house a pair of Picassos). When this happens, the mag will wander all over the tank and will inevitably climb onto the walls. Worst case scenario is that it climbs up the back wall and blocks the overflow, which could cause a flood.

In terms of magnifica size, the ideal would be something around 8" in diameter. That would be large enough to house a pair of clownfish. The problem is that with the limited amount of mags entering the trade, we don't really have a choice of sizes.

In terms of limiting size via feedings, the clownfish will poop in it, providing it food so I expect it to grow.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That may work, I've never investigated. I have strong feelings about restricting access to food for an animal that is meant to be huge in order to keep it small. :)

If you get one, I hope it does well for you.

:thinking-face: Hmm, that’s something I’ve never thought about to be honest. I will definitely have to do some more research on that topic. I would like to think that as long as it’s not showing signs of stress then it would be fine, but I definitely understand your view point as well.

Thanks for the well wishes!

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small enough anything might take a while to outgrow that cube and by then larger accommodation might come available or ultimately find another that can provide a bigger home. Doubt it would be hard to re-home considering there's always demand yet few available and why prices remain high.

PharmrJohn

The Dude Abides
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I don't like it either. They do eat what you feed them and as stated, leftover food and waste. This one I wouldn't even keep in a 90g. Not enough room in width.

James M

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you plan on getting a ton of flow without the mag getting caught

garygb

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In nature, magnificas typically measure between 12 and 15 inches across the oral disc. Supposedly, they can grow up to a yard across, but I've never seen a photo of one that large. So as long as the tank can accommodate an anemone that is say 15 inches across, then you should be okay. The tank size is not the primary concern. The most important consideration is maintaining the water quality and providing the necessary parameters for the anemone to thrive.

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As others have said they get big fast. He wouldn't give you much room nor flexibility if he should start to wander. Secondly as garygb stated you may not have the filtration to support a mags water quality needs. But anything is possible lol.

Here's one of my mags (called big kuhuna) , he's 16" across. My tank is 28" width and he's a concern to me cause of he starts wandering he's definitely going to cause me problems. I wouldn't attempt it in a biocube.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240710_150958_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240710_150958_Gallery.jpg
    158.9 KB · Views: 96

Hot2na

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dr mac had one in a 32 gal for a long time ..until someone bought it .. right now I believe he has/had one smaller purple mag about 7" in Dia... I believe that would be perfect

Last edited:

MikeyA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Initially that may work. But as it grows it's going to really test the limits of a biocube capacity.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for everyone's input, I think I'm going to hold off on trying a mag until I can get a bigger tank.

I have been going back and forth between a Mag, Crispa, and Malu, and it sounds like the later 2 would be a better fit for my BC32.

OP
OP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep a small one in my 24 inch Oceanic cube for years. Just don’t feed him. Condition need to be optimal obviously for it to do well. Minimal margin of error so it is more difficult for sure.
Would you happen to have any pictures of that setup?

Did you find that it moved around a lot?

reefchi

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've thought about getting the smallest one I could find for a 25 Lagoon tank I plan on building soon but been too scared given what everyone says. Seem possible from what Dr Mac's video but would be curious how long was it in there until he sold it.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back