Is my squamosa doing ok? Also potential pest/hitchhiker?

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys! I have a 3” squamosa clam. Have had it for about 3 months now and it seems like it’s doing okay. Reacts great to light.
I don’t see much white growth on the edge of its shell but there is some so I’m worried it’s just surviving and not thriving. Is there other ways to tell? Mantle is open most of the time when the light is on. Sometimes the inlet is gaping for a hour or two maybe a few times a week? But I wonder if that just means it’s filter feeding? I have concerns that I’m not providing enough light because my Primes are too weak which maybe the reason for the gaping?? I’ve had it on the rock closer to the light but it kept moving and would eventually fall to the sand so I moved it to the sand and it has stayed put since (about a month now). It seems like it has an area on the mantle that is translucent and almost like a tear in the flesh. Circled in the pic. Is this something to be concerned about or is it just the way it’s built? Lol

Also!! I see some potential hitchhikers on the shell. See pics. It’s a bad angle because it’s on the other side but I didn’t want to disturb the clam by moving it for a better pic. Hopefully from these images someone can 1. Help me identify what’s on the shell and 2. Reassure me that the clam is doing ok :) thank you so much in advance for your help!!!
IMG_6187.jpeg
IMG_6188.jpeg
IMG_6190.jpeg

IMG_6186.jpeg

IMG_6219.jpeg
IMG_6220.jpeg
IMG_6221.jpeg
IMG_5908.jpeg

rhitee93

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm pretty new with clams, but the growth line doesn't look real fresh to me. My clams will always have a bright white line that doesn't have any algae growth on it.

Can you get ahold of a PAR meter somehow so you can find out where you are at?

@OrionN

Last edited:

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be too worried . from what I can tell in the photo it doesn’t look like a pest, maybe a pineapple sponge (fine)
As far as the white line under the mantle that is new shell growth. As the clam puts down new layers of shell it will slowly become cover in algae and coralline hence why the rest of the shell isn’t white.
I’ve had spot like that on my clams and I’ve never really been sure what they are but they usually go away with time. But the clam looks great!

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
:)
I'm pretty new with clams, but the growth line doesn't look real fresh to me. My clams will always have a bright white line that doesn't have any algae growth on it.

Can you get ahold of a PAR meter somehow so you can find out where you are at?

@OrionN
Right! I noticed growth on others clams are pearly white and mines are kind of aging which worries me that the clam is not actively thriving & growing. Im going to have to rent a par meter soon, I have an egg crate lid for a few weeks until my custom lid comes in but I know that reduces my par dramatically. I do have the clam placed directly under the LED

OP
OP
jayteerq

jayteerq

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t be too worried . from what I can tell in the photo it doesn’t look like a pest, maybe a pineapple sponge (fine)
As far as the white line under the mantle that is new shell growth. As the clam puts down new layers of shell it will slowly become cover in algae and coralline hence why the rest of the shell isn’t white.
I’ve had spot like that on my clams and I’ve never really been sure what they are but they usually go away with time. But the clam looks great!
Thanks for your help! I trust your opinion since your PP is a clam :) lol

SaltyWalty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your help! I trust your opinion since your PP is a clam :) lol
Haha thanks. That’s my Gigas clam. I’ve had a lot of clams over the years definitely one of my favorites critters in the hobby.

ISpeakForTheSeas

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the hitchhikers - I see spirorbid worms (harmless filter-feeders), and pineapple sponges (also harmless filter-feeders, but if they're touching the mantle, they could irritate it in those spots).

TOP 10 Trending Threads

DO YOU PREFER BIGGER TANKS OR SMALLER TANKS? WHY?

• The bigger the tank, the better it is!

Votes: 28 75.7%
  • The smaller the tank, the sweeter it is!

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 8.1%
Back