is there a "best" filter roller yet?

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey all this is a filter roller inquiry and since I have no experience with them I figured it's best to ask the community.

currently im running a regular sump with filter socks. ( it's alot of fun, has been for years;) )

I am re plumbing and moving a tank so I am taking the opportunity to update the sump and plumbing along with the current stand.

this is a 120g tank sps heavy with the need to run low nutrients and have mechanical filtration along with my protein skimmer.

no diy :)

Anyway I'd love to hear any and all input on filter rollers good bad and ugly. if you like them dislike them, a favorite brand or even a story of a friend of a friend would be great! I know there's lots of threads similar but as time goes on and more and more people use them opinions change id love to hear the latest thanks everyone:) :) R2R4EVR

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my Clarisea 5000. It does not have some of the features of some other rollers (web notifications/remote control/whatever etc), but it works well so far and has a much smaller footprint so I did not have to make major sump modifications to plumb it in. I never had good luck with reusable socks, Reef Diapers were a big improvement, but the roller is just easy and consistent. Worth the cost for me.

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my Clarisea 5000. It does not have some of the features of some other rollers (web notifications/remote control/whatever etc), but it works well so far and has a much smaller footprint so I did not have to make major sump modifications to plumb it in. I never had good luck with reusable socks, Reef Diapers were a big improvement, but the roller is just easy and consistent. Worth the cost for me.
I looked at those to just modify my existing sump, but I've decided to redo everything. I've seen good things for a while now about clarisea rollers.

I want a new sump with a better layout for my needs.

I have reef diapers on a 48g but it's clogged every 3 days like clockwork so they are actually a bit pricy for that tank.

but this tank I'm looking for something easier on my time and hopefully doesn't beat up my wallet too.

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used 3 different kinds so far (bubble magus L g1, clarrisea g2 5000, reefmat1200)

Reefmat blows the others away as far as ease of use and functionality. The wifi can serve as a "heartbeat"/outage notification (youll get an email if its been without wifi for too long which could signify a power outage) and changing the rolls is by far the least painful of the 3 (you have to use staples on the other 2 to make spooling less of a headache)
The only downside of the reefmat imo is cost for oem rolls and to some 200 micron doesn't polish enough (other rolls are 50 micron)

Tldr rating: reefmat >>>>>>bubble magus(cheapest option but hard to change rolls)>>>clarrisea (no point in buying due to cost vs reefmat and equally difficult to change rolls vs bubble magus)

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I love my ClariSea SK3000 G3. Easy assembly and install. I’ve had it running for about 7 months. The ClariSea brand fleece has a smaller micron rating from what I can tell - although it’s hard to nail down an exact number since they don’t publish it. But I *believe* it’s somewhere in the neighborhood of 20-50 microns. I actually ended up modifying mine slightly to run Hmahli rolls which aren’t as fine, and much longer. I was going through rolls way too quickly and I don’t need a low nutrient system.

The Gen 3 has an improved motor (the Gen 2 had some motor issues) and easier assembly from what I’ve read. Replacing rolls isn’t too hateful.

*edit - and yes, smaller footprint than the RedSea options, which I needed for my sump.

IMG_9760.jpeg

Sdbuehler1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on the Clarisea 5000, I’ve been running one on my 100 gallon mixed reef for over 2 years. Simple operation and works almost flawlessly. I go through a roll about every 45-60 days but it is worth every penny not having to worry about cleaning filter socks or over flowing when they get clogged.

Rolliad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ReefMat 250 and generally I like it. That said, I get wildly different performance from roll to roll. I've had a roll last 2 months and one last 10 days. I've done a factory reset on it and it's all up to date on in regards to firmware, so I can only guess that there just is a lot of difference in the quality of each roll?

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a ReefMat 250 and generally I like it. That said, I get wildly different performance from roll to roll. I've had a roll last 2 months and one last 10 days. I've done a factory reset on it and it's all up to date on in regards to firmware, so I can only guess that there just is a lot of difference in the quality of each roll?
Do you happen to use media in the bottom basket? That and too large advancements caused problems as far as consistency in my applications until I removed it + went with smaller advances.
Roll performance has been consistent since (although yours are the newer 250 which might affect it?)

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good discussion! I'm getting one for my new build, so this thread is helpful!

Rolliad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you happen to use media in the bottom basket? That and too large advancements caused problems as far as consistency in my applications until I removed it + went with smaller advances.
Roll performance has been consistent since (although yours are the newer 250 which might affect it?)
I had thought that too - It's set to the minimum advancement rate and the media basket isn't even attached. :(

dangles

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I don't mind paying more for a pricier unit, I'd say it's more important that the filter material is maximized to reduce cost and waste to maintain.

Rolls in general aren’t cheap, but I’ve started hearing about people washing/reusing them. I plan to try that soon.

Rolliad

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aside from it being a QA issue with the rolls, I have a theory, but it seems "whackadoodle"...but I have a MASSIVE amount of pods. I've started to theorize that they are clogging the rolls. I'm contemplating getting a mandarin to see if it helps my roll usage tbh.

Gribbles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll throw my $.02 in and say I have the Reef Factory Smart Roller M and have zero complaints. Roll is easy to change, web app works great for me. Literally cannot think of a complaint from my experience

OP
OP
thatmanMIKEson

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ouch! the reefmat 1200 replacement roll is 32$

my filter socks are 8-9$ they last about 3 days in sump and probably 10 uses out of one before i toss them for good.....

add the cost of my time, water, bleach and dealing with stinky socks im not sure they are any cheaper lol

that's why I'm looking to try something new this is very helpful and everyone's different imput is much appreciated!!

C_AWOL

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if they were ever intended to be cheaper but they certainly are significantly more convenient and lower nutrients much better than socks (may not be ideal depending on your system.
20240624_161025.jpg
20240622_081912.jpg

VideoCapture_20240625-160901.jpg

My nitrates are a mere 3.7ppm from using 2 reefmats + carbon dosing + fuge despite very heavy feedings.

Jmp998

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used 3 different kinds so far (bubble magus L g1, clarrisea g2 5000, reefmat1200)

Reefmat blows the others away as far as ease of use and functionality. The wifi can serve as a "heartbeat"/outage notification (youll get an email if its been without wifi for too long which could signify a power outage) and changing the rolls is by far the least painful of the 3 (you have to use staples on the other 2 to make spooling less of a headache)
The only downside of the reefmat imo is cost for oem rolls and to some 200 micron doesn't polish enough (other rolls are 50 micron)

Tldr rating: reefmat >>>>>>bubble magus(cheapest option but hard to change rolls)>>>clarrisea (no point in buying due to cost vs reefmat and equally difficult to change rolls vs bubble magus)
Most of what I've read about the Reefmat is very positive, but it would not fit in my sump (factory sump on a Cade 1200). For me that was the deciding factor. There are always tradeoffs. Cost ($429 vs $445) doesn't seem a big difference to me.

DO YOU HAVE CONFIDENCE IN YOUR LFS?

• Yes, I have full confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 57 25.7%
  • Yes, I have confidence in my LFS, but only about certain things.

Votes: 97 43.7%
  • No, I do not have confidence in my LFS.

Votes: 55 24.8%
  • Other (Please explain!)

Votes: 13 5.9%
Back