Is this an ammonia burn ?

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got 6 lyretail anthias yesterday and put them all into my 60 liters QT tank. This morning, when I woke up, I saw one was breathing heavily with a dark red pattern on his left gill. I immediately net her out and do a quick bath of 10 mins in Seachem Paraguard. Sadly, she did not make it, I watched her slowly died but know nothing to help further :(. Now, I'm afraid the same will happen to the other 5. Any suggestion for me ? The tank has been running fine, it has successfully QT-ed a copperband butterfly 2 weeks ago, and he is doing great in DT. Here are some pics
36874273_2094937730830448_2276260434120015872_n.jpg
37000931_2094966267494261_6360363020777947136_n.jpg

New Canvas.png

Last edited:

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear to be severe ammonia burn.

We're these fish an online purchase? How did you acclimate them?
Bag broken or deflated?

Methalyne Blue is a great thing to keep on hand for this. 30 min bath if you suspect a fish was exposed to ammonia during shipment/transportation.

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It does appear to be severe ammonia burn.

We're these fish an online purchase? How did you acclimate them?
Bag broken or deflated?

Methalyne Blue is a great thing to keep on hand for this. 30 min bath if you suspect a fish was exposed to ammonia during shipment/transportation.
Yes, I bought them from online. I acclimated them by floating the bag for 15 minutes and then after every 3 minutes, I poured a bit of QT tank water into their bags till full. I then just released them into the QT tank with light off. The bag was fine but a bit of air was leaked out.

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a deflated bag the fish was very likely exposed to ammonia.

Bags are sealed with pure oxygen, as soon as the seal breaks they are immediately subject to ammonia exposure.

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you had a deflated bag the fish was very likely exposed to ammonia.

Bags are sealed with pure oxygen, as soon as the seal breaks they are immediately subject to ammonia exposure.
Will fish with ammonia burn revived healthily without any medications but just putting in a cycled tank ?

HotRocks

Fish Fanatic!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Will fish with ammonia burn revived healthily without any medications but just putting in a cycled tank ?
Likely if they are given a 30 minute bath in methalyne blue.

Without it, it depends how much and how long they were exposed to ammonia. It is highly toxic even at a trace amount. It can also do internal damage to organs etc.

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Likely if they are given a 30 minute bath in methalyne blue.

Without it, it depends how much and how long they were exposed to ammonia. It is highly toxic even at a trace amount. It can also do internal damage to organs etc.
Many thanks to you, @HotRocks :D I think I know what to do now

OP
OP
ZhiYung

ZhiYung

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sad news, all 4 of them have passed away after a quick 20 minutes dip with seachem Paraguard. Only 1 remaining now.
What a sad day !? :( I can’t believe it and I’m so upset with the result of Paraguard which is also known as malachite green to cure off ammonia burn now. Hoping that the last one will survie :(.

Back