Is this related to internal parasites?

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a yellow angelfish I’ve been treating for internal parasites (feed him pellets soaked with general cure once a day) and noticed the below in my tank today.

It’s an off white, stringy substance, and it’s snagged on a few different rocks. It almost looks like the stringy poo that led to me treating the Angel in the first place there’s just way way more of it than I ever saw hanging off of the angel.

Just looking for an ID and course of action. Is this an expelled parasite or just a bunch of waste or what exactly?

Thanks in advance.
IMG_2777.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a yellow angelfish I’ve been treating for internal parasites (feed him pellets soaked with general cure once a day) and noticed the below in my tank today.

It’s an off white, stringy substance, and it’s snagged on a few different rocks. It almost looks like the stringy poo that led to me treating the Angel in the first place there’s just way way more of it than I ever saw hanging off of the angel.

Just looking for an ID and course of action. Is this an expelled parasite or just a bunch of waste or what exactly?

Thanks in advance.
IMG_2777.jpeg
image.jpg
image.jpg
These are likely eggs mass from a sea hare or snail. If none, may be sponge mass

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Ah. I do have a variety of snails. Anything to do with them or just leave alone?
You can leave them alone - additionally, usually its not the best idea to feed general cure since its impossible to really know how much drug the fish is getting (it could be too much - or not enough). Many cases of 'white stringy poop' are not related to parasites - but rather the diet the fish is eating. Also - can happen after transit.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Ah. I do have a variety of snails. Anything to do with them or just leave alone?
Leave alone. Will be caviar and rarely survive except in cooler temps, often unfavorable for most fish

OP
OP
Thalasstronaut

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can leave them alone - additionally, usually its not the best idea to feed general cure since its impossible to really know how much drug the fish is getting (it could be too much - or not enough). Many cases of 'white stringy poop' are not related to parasites - but rather the diet the fish is eating. Also - can happen after transit.
Thank you for the info. What would be a better anti parasitic to feed?

I’m reasonably certain that it’s a parasite since none of the other fish in the tank are affected, and Ive had the Angel for a minute now. (Approximately 6 weeks.) Are there other causes to consider?

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thank you for the info. What would be a better anti parasitic to feed?

I’m reasonably certain that it’s a parasite since none of the other fish in the tank are affected, and Ive had the Angel for a minute now. (Approximately 6 weeks.) Are there other causes to consider?
Have the symptoms changed at all since you were there?

OP
OP
Thalasstronaut

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have the symptoms changed at all since you were there?
Only symptom is the pale, stringy waste, which will cling to the fish for a long time. Almost like he needs to get it snagged on something to dislodge it.

No other symptoms. It’s possible he’s had this the whole time I’ve had him. We rearranged our living room and now the seating is closer to the tank so I see the fish more often.

Eats well enough, I feed a mix of frozen mysis, nori, and marine life spectrum. I have a snowflake eel I feed a mix of seafood too, and the angels will sometimes pick at bits he shakes off, salmon or scallops or octopus, it varies. He doesn’t seem to prefer anything over anything else always been a happy eater. He shares a tank with a coral beauty (added at the same time) who chases him periodically. Aggression is definitely one sided, but the yellow doesn’t hide, just runs away. I’ve been considering yanking the CB anyway, since he doesn’t play nice with any of the other inhabitants, honestly. Do you think stress may be a factor?

Before my post I had been feeding the soaked food for about a week, but did not this morning. I can’t say for certain but I don’t think the issue has gotten worse or better, just more of the same.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only symptom is the pale, stringy waste, which will cling to the fish for a long time. Almost like he needs to get it snagged on something to dislodge it.

No other symptoms. It’s possible he’s had this the whole time I’ve had him. We rearranged our living room and now the seating is closer to the tank so I see the fish more often.

Eats well enough, I feed a mix of frozen mysis, nori, and marine life spectrum. I have a snowflake eel I feed a mix of seafood too, and the angels will sometimes pick at bits he shakes off, salmon or scallops or octopus, it varies. He doesn’t seem to prefer anything over anything else always been a happy eater. He shares a tank with a coral beauty (added at the same time) who chases him periodically. Aggression is definitely one sided, but the yellow doesn’t hide, just runs away. I’ve been considering yanking the CB anyway, since he doesn’t play nice with any of the other inhabitants, honestly. Do you think stress may be a factor?

Before my post I had been feeding the soaked food for about a week, but did not this morning. I can’t say for certain but I don’t think the issue has gotten worse or better, just more of the same.
So I suppose there are 2 big possibilities 1. It's an intestinal illness (parasite, bacterial infection, etc) . 2. Its related to something else like diet.

If you search R2R there are multiple protocols for using metronidazole, and in some cases metronidazole and neomycin orally. The key to any of these is making sure that the fish are getting the proper dose of the medications in the food they are eating. The best way to do this is careful measurements (weighing food and antibiotic, etc), and as well - making sure how much dose the fish is getting. It is my understanding that the ratio of medications in general cure may not be totally appropriate for oral dosing.

Usually, the recommendations for 'white-stringy poop' vary from 'do nothing except change the diet' to bath treatments with metronidazole, to feeding. The tipping point where people start to think about treatment is when there are other symptoms besides 'white stringy poop'. PS - some people add prazipro.

Could you just review briefly which protocol you're using and exactly how your dosing it? The fact that there is no real improvement over 10 days or so - may suggest you need more treatment - or - that the treatment dosing is incorrect - or - that the poop is not treatable by the medication you were using.

Sorry for the long post:)

OP
OP
Thalasstronaut

Thalasstronaut

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I suppose there are 2 big possibilities 1. It's an intestinal illness (parasite, bacterial infection, etc) . 2. Its related to something else like diet.

If you search R2R there are multiple protocols for using metronidazole, and in some cases metronidazole and neomycin orally. The key to any of these is making sure that the fish are getting the proper dose of the medications in the food they are eating. The best way to do this is careful measurements (weighing food and antibiotic, etc), and as well - making sure how much dose the fish is getting. It is my understanding that the ratio of medications in general cure may not be totally appropriate for oral dosing.

Usually, the recommendations for 'white-stringy poop' vary from 'do nothing except change the diet' to bath treatments with metronidazole, to feeding. The tipping point where people start to think about treatment is when there are other symptoms besides 'white stringy poop'. PS - some people add prazipro.

Could you just review briefly which protocol you're using and exactly how your dosing it? The fact that there is no real improvement over 10 days or so - may suggest you need more treatment - or - that the treatment dosing is incorrect - or - that the poop is not treatable by the medication you were using.

Sorry for the long post:)
No problem, thank you for taking the time.

So I am using the recipe Here on R2R, the “Humblefish” method outlined in the third post. I made a batch of spectrum marine pellets soaked in general cure, and using unflavored gelatin as the binder instead of focus. It made a slurry that I feed the tank once in the morning.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0

I suspect this is due to excess mucus and especially from the foods you describe mainly mysis. Add to diet, Flake food, LRS Fish frenzy and plankton. Pull back a little on mysis and you will see a change. Metro has to be used precisely and makes food taste bitter and I do not recommend it. If fish is eating and not thinning in weight- no need to use

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 44 55.0%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 30 37.5%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back