Is this turf algae?

Just John

Valuable Member? Seriously?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is not short and doesn't grow in mats like turf algae is supposed to, but is hard to pull off and has a tough, brillo pad like texture like turf algae should. The CUC keeps everything spotless, but won't touch this. If it's not turf algae, what is it?

1723477829048.png
1723477870247.png

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure but I have a outcropping like that in my 10 gallon isolation tank. The CUC mows everything else down around it. lol

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure but I have a outcropping like that in my 10 gallon isolation tank. The CUC mows everything else down around it. lol
I wouldn't care, but it is spreading even though I keep pulling it out. I am just worried the tank will be filled with it in a couple of months.

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've just been pinching it off when I do a water change. So far that's kept it in check. I'm going to see if Google has any similar pictures. :)

OceanJack

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not turf algae, I've had red turf algae in my prior tanks. I had to break it down and bleach everything in order for it not to come back. Did it twice, since I didn't clean the equipment well enough and had to bleach the rock.

Also I think it could be bryopsis algae.

OP
OP
Just John

Just John

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as bryopsis, this does not have the fern-like structure bryopsis does. Also, It feels almost like a wire texture and I think bryopsis has more of a slick feeling, if I remember correctly.

mh0ward

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what kind it is, but if you only have a little at the moment and want to keep it from spreading, you could probably nuke it with Hydrogen Peroxide. Basically just turn off any pumps and squirt some hydrogen peroxide on it with a syringe. Let it sit and 5-10 minutes later, turn your pumps back on. I've done this before with turf algae and so far it hasn't come back.

Dread Pirate Dave

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as bryopsis, this does not have the fern-like structure bryopsis does. Also, It feels almost like a wire texture and I think bryopsis has more of a slick feeling, if I remember correctly.
Thanks - that puts me at ease! All the pictures I found on google had the fern like look to them so I didn't think it was but it holds onto the rock pretty good so I thought maybe? :)

HAVE YOU EVER EXPERIENCED A TANK EMERGENCY? SHARE YOUR STORY IN THE COMMENTS!

• Unfortunately, yes.

Votes: 57 66.3%
  • Thankfully, no.

Votes: 26 30.2%
  • Other (pleas explain).

Votes: 3 3.5%
Back