Just noticed this on a frag plug...

iannarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this some sort of super tiny feather duster and will it grow to be bigger? It retracts into the tube as a reaction to motion.
1000037353.jpg

The fan portion is perhaps the size of a pencil eraser.

Also is this an aptasia wedged in between the two disc?

1000037345.jpg

Thanks!

OP
OP
iannarelli

iannarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fan worm near full size.
The aiptasia is waiting to be removed
Is there any way to relocate the fanwom from the frag to somewhere else in the tank? If it's harmless I'm happy to keep it but don't want to I just or kill it. Was planning to pop the smaller discs off the larger one before placing the coral.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there any way to relocate the fanwom from the frag to somewhere else in the tank? If it's harmless I'm happy to keep it but don't want to I just or kill it. Was planning to pop the smaller discs off the larger one before placing the coral.
If it is the only pest on the plug can you put the plug in the sump and let it live here?

Uncle99

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The 2nd pic is a pest. Needs to be removed, or I would just cover it with superglue since it's in a bad spot to nuke with boiling water in a syringe.

1st pic is a fan worm, harmless and fine where it is.
Me, I don’t like both.
Just in case the worm. Coral may not appreciate it and doesn’t need to be there.

For sure sure sure that little aptasia.

Rjukan

Broken
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me, I don’t like both.
Just in case the worm. Coral may not appreciate it and doesn’t need to be there.

Shrug. It's at the bottom of the plug not even close to touching the frag. But to each their own! I look at it like "aww a little fan worm" lol

OP
OP
iannarelli

iannarelli

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me, I don’t like both.

Shrug. It's at the bottom of the plug not even close to touching the frag. But to each their own! I look at it like "aww a little fan worm" lol
Maybe I get lucky when I pop the smaller disk off the larger on and the worm stays on the larger disk. I guess we'll find out.

BristleWormHater

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it a pest or a friendly though?
Is this some sort of super tiny feather duster and will it grow to be bigger? It retracts into the tube as a reaction to motion.
1000037353.jpg

The fan portion is perhaps the size of a pencil eraser.

Also is this an aptasia wedged in between the two disc?

1000037345.jpg

Thanks!
If you want to move the feather duster there is 2 things you could do you could manually remove him(carefully) and relocate him. You could also place the frag plate somewhere the feather duster wont like (higher flow area or an area harder for him to catch food) and he *may* come out of his tube and build a new one somewhere else. If he comes out some fish might eat him so be careful. Both might stress him out too much which might make him shed his crown. Once feather dusters shed their crown they never usually recover and their new crown will not be as large. You should probably just keep him there because feather dusters are extremely sensitive. Also take everything I said with a grain of salt because everything I said is from the internet, but feather duster are not very well studied.

WHEN IT COMES TO REEFING EQUIPMENT, DO YOU BUY NEW OR USED? AND WHY?

• I usually buy new equipment.

Votes: 46 56.1%
  • I usually buy used equipment.

Votes: 6 7.3%
  • I depends on what the equipment is.

Votes: 30 36.6%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back